• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger stops at bottom of hole!

Finlander

Question

4 answers to this question

Try letting just the weight of the auger take the blade through the last couple of inches of ice. Don't add pressure by pushing down on the auger while drilling.

This worked for me in correcting the same situation.

I agree with Huskminn, try and let your rpm's get higher by letting the weight of the auger do the work. I run a Jiffy 3hp with a 10" so I know what you are talking about. I find that after 5 holes she is warm and rips right through the last couple inches w/o a problem, but while it's warming up it tends to stick. Once you get used to how thick the ice is in a given area you will be able to tell when you need to let up and add more rpm's right before the last little bit.

My Bro just got the new "stealth" and he says that the new cutting blade helps a little, we have yet to race through the ice but it will happen....and there will be a report smile.gif

morriscode

The first time I ever used a power auger was a friend's 3hp, 10 inch Jiffy. I was standing on glare ice without icewalkers. When I broke through to water, the auger caught and since it stopped spinning, I started. I locked my grip on the handles, which included the throttle lever. I went around 2&1/2 times[i think] before getting it stopped. My little boys thought it was funny and figured if it had been on video it would have won on the funniest video show. I didn't think it was nearly as funny as they did at the time.

icehousebob...great story!!!LOL
I had the same thing happen to be but I did have ice grippers on and when I locked my grip I almost broke both my wrists!!!
It killed all my buddies ripped on me all day whenever I would say..."Man does my wrist hurt" they had plenty of reasons why???
The best quote ever....

"Hey I get no respect" Rodney Dangerfield