• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wax

smartguy

Question

I have a portable fishhouse, and i am thinking of putting wax on the poles so they raise and collapse a little smoother. Has anyone done this? Would the wax just be more cumbersome as the temperatures fall? What kind of wax do you recommend using? Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Not sure about using wax. What I usually do after removing and drying out the canvas on my portables after a cold weekend is wipe the poles down and spray them with WD40. This seems to prevent ice from building up as much and making the take down tougher after turning off the heat at the end of a cold night.

What is a good trick to use to keep the zippers from icing up and trapping you in the house? I've tried silicone spray on the zippers before but didn't really work. How about bow string wax? Thanks.

Big_Fish_Guy,
Actually, some old-timers have told me that WD40 is a deadly attractant. I don't use it, 'cause I'm kind of a "Greenie", but to each their own. I use cod-liver oil as a de-scenter and attractant.

A good no-smell/no-stain lube for metal is trumpet oil. I use it on my hair-clippers and my Leatherman.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC