• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up

Question

I'm going to buy a new tip up tommorrow. Can anyone reccomend the best one to get. Also what brand line and weight would be best for Mille Lacs, walleyes and perch. Any recommendation would be appreciated. We're going out of McQuids this weekend how has this area been doing lately? THanks

8 answers to this question

I bought an HT polar therm, I believe it was called, yesterday, should of spent the extra $3 for the Frabill, no reason why, maybe just the brand name.

Anyway, it was my first time useing a tip up and they could have been a little better about explaining how to use it and set it up, maybe a couple different diagrams.

I figured it out for myself though, except I am curious what the pen clip is for?

thanks

Ive got a bunch of those and like them. the pen clip, I turned them upside down on the shaft and slid it in the line keeper to keep it from spinning, ya might have to take some tension off the spring while pushing it in. other than that I dont know what they are for. I use a 50lb braid and tie on 3' of floro. easier to handle and easier to see.

I really like the Frabill 10-inch round insulated tip-ups, because they keep the hole from freezing over. You can get them for about $20 anywhere they sell ice fishing tackle.

I have two of them, and three of the standard Polar tip-ups as well. The Polars are nice when space is tight and the weather's nice, but in cold weather I'd go with the Frabill because of that insulating the hole, and the Frabills work just fine when it's warm, too. Also, the Frabills stack up just right in a 5-gallon bucket.

I rig all my tips with heavy line, either 25lb mono, a braid or a coated tip-up line. I leave it like that for pike, but for walleyes/perch, I use a barrel swivel and add about 8 feet of 8lb mono. Don't want heavy line to spook the fish. In stained water I like a glow demon for glow, in clear water I like a bare hook and a couple split-shot.

Also, the Frabill doesn't have a pen clip to anchor the spool. It uses a rubber sleeve that slides up and down against the shaft. Gotta push it tight against the spool so the spool doesn't spin on you until a fish takes the bait. Anyone who hasn't used tip-ups, fart around with it a couple times and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck, and have a blast. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-15-2003).]

Could you explain to me useing a tip up, say from after its set then after a walleye strikes it.
What I'm curious about is, once you see the flag pop up, what to do then, are you suppose to let it run with the line?
should you grab the tip up and try an set the hook or what?
I still dont understand what the pen clip is for.
Is it for securing it when not in use so the reel doesn't let line out?
thanks

The pen clip keeps the retaining wire from spinning around. If that happens, it allows line off the spool without the spool spinning. In other words, if the pen clip (or in the case of Frabills the rubber sleeve) isn't pushed tightly against the spool, the weight of sinker and bait will pull the retaining wire around in circles while the spool is held still by the set tip-up, and will take the line to the bottom of the lake once you've set the tip-up down.

I'm not sure if that's easily understood or not, but really, once you get out on the ice and fool around, you'll understand.

OK, once you get a flag: If you're fishing for pike with quick-strike rigs, set the hook as soon as you get to the tip.

If you're fishing walleyes/perch with a small hook, live minnow, etc., note which way the shaft is turning and use your finger to speed that up, which gains you some slack. Once you've got a bunch of slack gained, maybe only a few seconds spinning it quickly, pull out the tip-up, setting it on its side but in such a way that the spool can still spin if it comes to that.

How long you wait to set the hook is different depending on the mood of the fish. Sometimes you set right away. If they're taking it slowly, sometimes you have to keep feeding line so they feel no resistance for 10 seconds or more. When you think you're ready, tighten up the line and set quick, so you don't let the fish feel resistance.

That should be a start.

But if you aren't proud and this explanation isn't clear enough, swallow it down and take the tip-up into the tackle store and ask for a lesson. Even better if you buy it there and ask for a lesson.

Good luck.

I've got 2 Beaver Dams and have had them for going on 20 years. They are as solid as the day I bought them and work like a dream. A friend of mine bought a finicky fish factory and has had great luck with it.

Fishing is Life.

Scatfish summed it up pretty good.
When I Walleye/Northern fish with tip ups I usualy let the fish run till it stops and starts to move again before I set the hook.
Quick strike rigs I set the hook right away though.
When pulling your line in while fighting a fish keep the wind at your back. That way when your pulling line out it blows away from you instead of blowing back into your lap causing a potential mess.
Set your flag so that the wind is blowing it towards the tip up spindle instead of away. This will eliminate wind flags.
Make yourself a couple tip up markers too. Take a bit of reflective tape and wrap it around the top of your marker. Put a small piece of reflective tape on your tip up flag arm too. Try and make it so when the flag goes up the reflective tape on your marker and tip up line up side by side. This is a big plus at night when you don't have tip up lights. Just a flash from a flashlight will tell you if you have a flag and will also help you find your boards at night when you pick up.
The reflective tape also lets vehicles know there's a tip up there thus hopefully saving you a run over tip up !
I prefer the Beaver Dam tip ups myself.