Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

hand augers

10 posts in this topic

I need to know if anybody knows about hand augers that are not the spiral type. My father in law has an older auger that looks kind of spoon like instead of spiral, like augers usually look like. Does anybody know about these, and if they work well??

These spoon type augers were popular about 35 years ago. I think Mora made one that had blue paint on it. From all my experiance when I was a kid, and my dad had one, I would hang it on the wall as an antique. They are good for a workout but do not go through the ice too well. Go pick up a good Lazer hand auger.

------------------

If youre looking for a hand auger ... I just picked one up tonight for 20 bucks ... NEW!
Its the 6" mora with the dual blades.
I'm in Sioux Falls and bought it locally at a "mega" store . One of those stores that sells T-bones steaks and a pack of underwear under the same roof.

I have had a spoon auger for many years and I still use it until the ice gets over 7". The auger has 7", 6" and 4.5" replaceable heads. Forget the 7", the 6" is doable but the 4.5 goes through the Ice way good. My son could smoke me and my 8" power auger in 6" of ice, thicker than that I had him.

I never found anyone to sharpen it, but learned to do it myself and when sharp the 4.5" will cut. And we have pulled 10+# slimers out of these small holes.

My dad talked of spoon augers.

He said if you sharpened it it would cut really good for one hole, and after that forget it.

Lazer hand augers work pretty slick, but I have heard some good things about Nils Master augers too.

PCG

yettie:

Yep, you can cut holes with the cup augers, but it's like 45 minutes in the gym.

They were the norm 30 years ago when I was a kid. Most folks gladly chucked them aside when spiral augers and power augers became available.

If it's all you have, I'd say sharpen it and start cutting. You gotta make a hole to ice fish. If you can get a used spiral hand auger, do it, you'll like it better (sharpen it until it slices paper). And yes, you can squeeze a good-sized fish through a 4.5 inch hole, but go with an 8-inch spiral hand auger (or, better yet, a power auger if you have the dough), and you'll have room for a lot more with fewer worries.

My father-in-law has one. He liked it so much that he gave me his other auger - a more typical style 8" hand auger. He said it never worked right for him.

I replaced the blades on it and now can out drill him 3 to 1 - and he is in a lot better shape then me.

Last time out he brought his power auger - and again I out drilled him 8 to 0 - because he couldn't get it started.

kgm

ahh, memories... When I was young and the fishing got slow, and I started to complain about being cold/bored/hungry ect. My dad woud hand me a Pepsi and the ole spoon auger. I would head off and drill about a half dozen holes, and get tired/hot/un-bored and bring back the trophys to show my dad.... THe trophy is when you drilled the perfect spoon hole so that you got the perfect shaped middle peice that was the size of a paper towel tube.

again.. AHHHHH the memories!

Just a plug for Nil Master's had augers. I use these through the winter when I want to be very moble and cannot use my truck. The ice needs to be very thick before I bring my truck out on the ice. Any ways, I never use my power auger when moving just by walking. The Nils makes holes very quickly and I like the no blade replacement need part. It is more expensive than other hand augers, but worth every penny. Just make sure you get the largest size head you can. If my ice fishing stuff caught on fire and I could only save 2 pieces of equipment one would be this and the other would be my fl-18 wink.gif

------------------
Go Buckeyes

I have 2 of the spoon type augers. I bet I've had these things for 25 years and haven't used them in 20. Last week during a wave of nostalgia, I decided to take the old spooner out instead of my Mora. We only have 6" of ice here on Lake Ontario in NY. It must have taken 2 minutes to go through 6" and the blades are sharp (or were). Now I remember why I haven't used them in 20 years.
Does anybody want them?!! Get a good spiral type. Keep the blades sharp, keep the guard on when not in use and it will last a long time.Good Luck!!