• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Protective gear bags or cases needed

Swill

Question

Hey gang...
I find myself bringing more gear along icefishing that I worry about like my digital photo/video camera, cell phone, gps unit, and I am worry about keeping that stuff protected and dry? Any ideas so I don't wreck my stuff when I am moving around in my otter?

7 answers to this question

Try a Sevylor dry sack. Depending on the size, I think you should be able to find one for less than 15 bones to protect your equipment from water. I am not sure how these dry sacks hold up in frigid temperatures.

Marmot

a bud of mine stores his 2 pinpoints and a gps in a briefcase sized plastic carryall with 2 latches, he put that egg crate foam rubber on both sides and it works great, holds everything steady, definetly not water proof but does the job for bangin around. sorry I dont know where he found the case.

I would use the rubberized dry bags popular with canoists, but worry they'd crack in really cold temps.

I've had really good luck using Ziploc bags, whic come in sizes big enough to fit ring binders full of lake maps inside. Then the Ziplock goes inside a small pack or stuff sack wrapped in a towel. Cheap, stuff you've got around the house, and effective.

I am very happy with the Croxton Pond ice tote, pretty much waterproof and it has lots of room for extra "stuff".

I place sensitive stuff like cameras, flash units, GPS, head lamps, all in Zip-Locks and add them to the case. I have never messed up anything yet in the tote.

It is nice to have rods,tackle and all the stuff in one handy tote, less searching for lost gear that way.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

Swill,
I had the same problem hauling my gear in my Otter Sled, especially fragile fishing rods. I bought a large, black, plastic rifle case that was $25 at Fleet Farm, and it stores all my rods, camera and other stuff to boot. I have never broke a rod or damaged anything in 2 seasons with this method.
In the fall, the case is used for my rifle. I forgot the name of the case, but it holds the rifle (and fishing rods) in an upright position with velcro straps. It's a neat concept for scoped rifles.