• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

arctic cat 440 panther

shefland

Well I just purchased a 1994 Panther 440 with 1200 miles on it, hasn't been used since 2008, stabil in the fuel, siphoned out fuel, put in some new non oxygenated gas and some seafoam, runs good but only can get 30 mph out of it? now I do not need to go crazy on speed but surely this should do about 55 wouldn't it? Possible clue I found a bag of 12 used spark plugs in the storage area, any ideas on what I should check for?thanks Dave

I used Stabil once and never used it again, left a bunch of green gunk in my carbs and it took a good cleaning to fix that. You'll probably need to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning, also check and make sure your chokes are sliding good where they go into the carbs, sometimes they can get tarnished and even though they slide in, it doesn't mean they are working correctly, if they don't go all the way down in the tube, they are stuck on. You might want to check the choke thing first.

Sounds to me if you found a bag of plugs in the back, it might be running rich.

Mike

If the sled has not been run for a few years DO NOT run it until you clean the carbs. There will be gunk in them and if the main jets plug up it will cause a lean burn and damage the pistons/cylinders. In 1994 the carbs were Mikuni round slides and as Mike mentioned the choke plungers can stick. Be sure to clean them well and they will cause a boggy rich run that fouls plugs fast. Also, check the carb boots for cracks/splits as this can cause lean conditions as well.

I would also clean the primary clutch, pull the secondary and lube the shaft so it slides easily, and grease every zerk on the suspension with low temp grease. Do a visual check for loose wires and missing screws/nuts. and give it a good wash down with foaming engine degreaser to clean things up.

Update on my Arctic Cat, changed plugs, put on a new belt, still only 30 mph, disconnected all hoses from the carb and used a air compressor to blow it out, reconnected, fired it up, and its now a rocket! at least to me, thanks for everyones input, now with a little luck I am back in business.