Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Problem with new Jiffy auger

11 posts in this topic

I just received my new Jiffy 70 series auger and I'm concerned about the way it idles. As the auger idles, the clutch sporadically engages and the auger blades abruptly turn about an eighth or quarter turn every couple of seconds or so. I plan on contacting an authorized Tecumseh service outlet like the operating manual says (any suggestions for a good one in the south metro?) but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem.

wiseguy I don't have a Jiffy but what it sounds like to me is that the idle was preset at the factory a little to aggressive. You can adjust this yourself with a screw driver really easy...

Wiseguy,

I had the EXACT same problem you did.. You can contact your tecumse dealer.. THey may tell you to run it a bit.. Some times it takes them a while to set all in.. Mine never got any better.. I just ajusted the screw till it ran better.. I adjusted it while I was cutting.. took two guys... Now it runs like a champ!

If your is still under warrenty, I would have them do it!

This is an easy fix. As everyone has stated the idle is set to high. Adjust it with a screw drive and you are in business.

How much is the Jiffy, and why did you chose this over the strike master lazer?
thansk

Most likely due to it being new the clutch is a bit tight yet. The idle, if set a bit high, will make it engage a bit too quickly on the warm up.

You can tweek the idle down a tad or just burn a few 100 holes and it will likely smooth out.

To me it sounds like you got a good tight auger there, I like seeing them do that new myself.

Keep good High Octain Ethinol Free gas and a quality oil mix with a shot of STA-BILL in the tank and it will treat you well.

Gitty-UP GO JIFFY...RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

grin.gif

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

backwtr1@msn.com

http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-28-2002).]

I always thought that was normal based on the Jiffys I have seen.

And yeah, why DIDN'T you buy a Lazer anyways?

PCG

Dano2 & Pro Crappie Guide, The Jiffy I bought is a 9" model 77 Legend Lightning with stealth cutting technolog and D-ice'r armor. I bought it at the same time I bought an FL-18. It normally goes for $325. I paid $299. perhaps because I also bought the vex. I really hadn't planned on buying a power auger at all yet but the price was right, so I did. I've read a lot of threads on this forum about power augers and found the opinions on Jiffy versus StrikeMaster mixed. It appears to me that both Jiffy and StrikeMaster make good products. I would have been happy with a StrikeMaster Lazer. I hope I'll be happy with the Jiffy!

Wiseguy
It sounds like you made your decision by reading the forums and figured what is best for you and how much you wanted to spend. smile.gif I didn’t purchase an auger yesterday frown.gif when I was in Fargo being I really don’t know which one to purchase not to mention letting the moths shocked.gif out of my billfold. But the auger you purchased is the same one I was leaning toward also. $329.00 I believe was the price at Mills Fleet. Didn’t stop at Scheel’s because of a time schedule. Good luck fishing and I’m sure you’ll be happy with both items you purchased! wink.gif Where did you get your bargain?
“FISH” grin.gif

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

Fish Toys, I bought it from Reeds at the Ice Fishing Show. It wasn't in stock so I just received it this week. I don't know that they would sell it at that price again because they told me this week that the sales rep had made a mistake in cutting the price. Anyway, I won't buy anything more from Reeds as long as I live because of the rude way that they treated me when I called them.