• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex ice-ducer...9 or 19?

Pharcta2

Question

Need some Vex ducer help. The wife's cat got into mine as it was charging...transducers must taste good to cats! So, do I replace it with a 9 or 19 degree? I can't afford the dual right now, and I can't afford to wait until I can afford it either!

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

19 degree for me! Unless you're fishing with small baits in very deep water the 19 will have plenty of power. Actually, the 9 would probably be too much in water less that 15 feet for most applications. I think sacrificing the little extra power to gain water coverage is the way to go.

gill man

I'd only go with the 9 if you fish a lot in water over 40 feet deep, and not too many of us do. Mine's the 19, and while I'd like the dual ducer for the few times I'm in 40 feet or more, the 19 is far the better all-around ducer.

Can't remember the specs on how big the cone diameter is on a 9 and a 19 at, say, 30 feet, so someone help us out here.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

This is approximate so bear with:

a 19 gives over 3 feet of coverage per 10 feet. The 9 gives a little less than half of that.

If you fish the edge of depth drops/rises in 20 feet of water and over I'd say get the 9. Your depth finder will always pick up the highest point. The wider your coverage the less likely you are to pick up what is directly below you. Especially if you are fishing the bottom of the drop and your beam is picking up the edge 4 feet from bottom.

If you fish a lot of flats in under 30 feet or slow tapering rise/drops under 20 or get the 19. The wider coverage will help you see more fish.

Those are my preferences, but I have a 9/19 dual transducer, so I don't have to make your decision. Other will differ based on the conditions they face. heck, some will argue based on water clarity and how far a fish can see. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-19-2002).]

When I talked with vexilar they said I would best off with the 12 for overall use especially on the ice. You might want to talk with them giving them your most probable fishing situations.

Yep, I'd give the 12 some consideration. I really wanted the dual beam on the FL-18 I just bought, but couldn't handle the extra$$. The 12 is a nice compromise, and from all I've heard from here and Vex, it will work just fine on 8's or 18's.