• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Polar" flip over shelter and sled Q's

Crawlerman

Question

Hi... Currently I have a polar one man "flip over" shelter. The sled and design is very simmilar to the original "fish trap" Not much room in it (enough for the flasher and a bucket to sit on; and some gear behind me) Anyways... when I flip over the bar to enclose the shelter; the "flaps" dont reach anywheres near the ground. Is this a flaw of the manufactuer or is there something I need to do after pulling the hood over as far as allowed? The sled itself is about 6 inches high and the flaps dangle freely as the bar holding them is parallel with the sled when extended and elevated above the ground. It's not making contact with the ice. The shelter is not new; I got it about 3 years ago, and having trouble finding any information about it on the net.

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 12-09-2002).]

8 answers to this question

Crawlerman, never seen that problem before. How much flap hangs below that last bar. I sewed a small chain in my small trap on the bottom of that flap and it keeps it snug to the ice but it sounds like there's too much material wrapped around the front of the sled maybe.

Ok. That's what I thought-- that it was a defect on putting too little material so it never fully extends. ST- you mentioned something about "extending it" any ideas on how that can be done? I can't really just add on to the edge on the sled as it has an elastic lining with bunje cords inside which holds the whole thing on the sled. I was thinking about just adding some all weather tarp onto the "flaps" themselves. In either case, what would be the best method for attaching the material once It's measured and cut?

I got it as a gift; besides-- this one was cheap when it first came out... Didn't have much of a choice. I may be looking into getting a 2 man portable this year, but that may not be for awhile. Also I'd like to keep the one man as it's a lot easier to drag behind and holds all my gear. (and sets up/comes down in seconds.)

Crawlerman: I have the same one. The problem is in mine is that the bottom pole doesn't make it to the ice fully. But with snow it's not that bad. Just dig out a pit for the sled and holes. That way the cover rests fully on the snow. I'm looking to get rid of mine because my kids are getting into fishing and I can't fit more than myself in it.

Chemist: yup. That's whay I have been doing if I have enough snow to do it with; but so far this year; that may not happen for awhile. Might be looking into getting a two man portable; but they are harder to drag around (though still east to set up with one person) And there's only a few which will fit into my trucks shortbed. (being the suitcase style ones) And I am short on money ATM. House still stays warm even when it's not touching the ground-- but the hole freezes over like it was outside and it's harder to see down it during the day. Might sew some material onto the flaps and see if that works.