• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sled for portables

Pig_sticka

Question

I just got a 6 x 8 portable fish house, it is pretty heavy. wood n canvas. how do i carry that out on the ice with me just pulling it. just wondering how the ice gods do it. i thought of putting 2 tobagans together but i dont know. any help in this category would be helpful.

7 answers to this question

If you can find a "mini-bogon"...the old sleds that were just a piece of plastic about 3'x5'..with a hole in the front for a handle.....they work pretty well if you put the the rope through the handle. I used to use one when pulling my clam through the snow. It made pulling easier and covered the bottom better to prevent the hole covers from popping up and filling the suitcase with snow.

I paid 5 bucks for a cheap pair of snow ski's at goodwill. Remove the bindings. Drill and counter sink for 8 flat head wood screws and attached four 2x4's each about 7" long. On top of that built and attached a frame using 1"x4" pine. works great!

I have a 6x8 that folds into a 3x8, and I made a sled for it. I took 2 2x4s 10 feet long, rounded up one end on each into a "ski" shape, and used 38" long 2x4s to attach the skis to each other. Then I took some used hyfax runners and attached them to the underside of the sled. I took 3/4" conduit and made a "u" bend in it, and attached the ends to the sled with carabiners. The house sits right in the sled, and I attached eye bolts to the runners to strap down buckets, auger, etc.

I have a 4x8 I use when its really cold. Its big and heavy, but folds flat. I'm not sure if this idea will work for you or not, but hey, its an idea. I have an otter sled that i installed "I" bolts in each corner on. I put all my stuff in the sled and throw the house on top. I use a set of ratchet straps to hold the house on to the sled. It works great, but your house may be a little too wide for my innovation. If it folds in half, it may work. I have used this method on mille lacs. Everything stays put when I'm flying across the lake on my sled at 55.

I would try and build a sled out of conduit. If you can get someone to do the welding. It is pretty light and REALLY pulls easy, hardly no drag. You could probably make it the same size as the house, or even a little smaller.