• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Small Game and bow opener Season change

charliepete

I was wondering if lcornice or someone could chime in with why the small game and bow opener are a week later this year. Normally MN and WI are on the same weekend, but this year WI is open on the 12th and we are on the 19th (according to the regs). The woodcock season is also opening on the same weekend as the grouse opener in MN (it's usually a week later). What gives? I'll be in Wisconsin next weekend, but would rather be heading up to my shack.

Relatively late Labor day this year. The seasons in MN seem like they are as close to the 15th of Sept and the second weekend after Labor day as they can be. This year, that works out to be Sept 19th.

I am not saying that is gospel, but that is the betting mans way of figuring it out. I would bet next year is Sept 18th....

Neighbor_guy - close but don't bet :-)

Archery and small game are set in rule as the Saturday closest to Sept. 16th. This year, it's the 19th. I think it's been that way for probably 30+ years. Last year was the earliest, this year is the latest. Next year, it'll be the 18th, etc until it cycles back up again.

The only thing in rule related to Labor Day is the lottery application deadline is always the Thursday after Labor Day. Don't ask me why it's Thursday but it's another 30+ year thing. So, this year the deadline is Sept. 10th. Don't miss it if you hunt a lottery area.

Same goes for firearm (Sat. closest to Nov. 6) and muzzleloader (Sat closest to Nov. 27).

Hey, it was a good "working" theory. smirk I was close enough to get next years date right. cool We have been using that method for years to figure out the date, and for the most part it has worked.

But you are the boss, so you know the exact workings of it. Thanks for setting me strait.

Hey, it was a good "working" theory. smirk I was close enough to get next years date right. cool We have been using that method for years to figure out the date, and for the most part it has worked.

But you are the boss, so you know the exact workings of it. Thanks for setting me strait.

Now that's funny. Thanks!

How about the woodcock opener. Why is that open the same weekend as the grouse opener this year? I always assumed it was moved a week later so reduce their harvest during opening weekend.

Woodcock is the Saturday closest to Sept. 22nd, which happens to be Sept. 19th this year. As woodcock are migratory, they fall under Federal guidelines (like ducks). A while back (don't know when), the Feds reduced our season from 60 to 45 days. Once we only had a 45 day window, the decision was made to open up a week later because the hunting would likely be better (e.g., leaf out). So, rather than give up 15 days on the back end, you give up 1/2 on the front end instead. If we had a 60-day framework, it would likely open with small game again.