• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gaffs

Have a client that wants me to build him a gaff. This guy has several of my rods, so I did not want to be asking a lot of questions as to the length of this gaff. He fishes on his boat from San Diego for tuna up to 60#'s. The only thing he told me is he wants a 3" stainless hook.

Does anybody have experience with gaffs?

I have not made a gaff as of yet, but it sure would be interesting. Boy not sure how to ensure the dang thing could repeatedly lift 60# with out failure. Not sure where you could come up with a stainless steel hook that sized either. Could start with something like this and bend and sharpen a bit. It is a 3/8 x 4 1/4 inch hook rated to hold like 220#

u809715.jpg

Do some research on what they actually use in that application. I've done that type of fishing and you will need the right gaff. Many of those boats are rather large and you may need a handle 8' or longer. The hook is also rather special. Bass Pro has a saltwater product line and you may be able to get ideas there. Also, a 60lb tuna can put a lot of force on a gaff. It will need to be stoutly constructed. Does anyone sell saltwater tackle components and have gaff hooks that you can use?

I am thinking the length of the handle would be determined by the size of the boat. Little freeboard and a long handle would be awkward and lotta freeboard and a short handle it be pretty hard to get a fish. I would call them see how much freeboard before I figured out a handle length.

Thanks for the help guys... this gaff is going to be 4' long ... that's what he wants. Tough butt handle with a secondary handle of EVA, along with some abalone inlay, Matagi gold accents, woven graphite inserts, leather loop, brass cap, and a 316 stainless 3" hook. All of this on a solid fiberglass shaft that will hardly bend.

Will post some pictures of the finished product later this next week. It is a work in progress.

Ya must be licensed to use this stuff!

It's done! 56" overall lenght of solid fiberglass, aluminum cap, EVA foam inlay, tough butt rear handle with leather strap, abalone inlay, texilum woven graphite inlays, Matagi trim rings, chaos multi axis random center flashaboo wrap, 3" 316 stainless hook reinforced in the tip end with graphite and a red wrap, with gold, silver, blue flashaboo trim rings.

This thing will hurt you! If someone can tell me how to upload pictures, I have a few of this gaff.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg