• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

video recording your own hunts

terryt

They used to sell a camera mount that attached where your front stabilizer did. That would be cool. I just purchased a flash drive Canon Last weekend and will be doing it as well. Any tips are appreciated!

I run a small sony handycam that uses mini dv tapes. The picture quality is great for the money. While filming my hunts I use a gorilla camera arm to support the camera. The arm pivots and turns to see all the way around the tree and allows me to capture the shot. I'm not a fan of the mounts that attach cameras to the bow. They work but it doesn't make for great video. If you want a cool looking video I suggest getting some lighted nocks. They make it very easy to follow the arrow flight to the animal. If you want fail safe lighted nocks get firenocks. I think they're only available online but they are the best. Lumenocks and pretty much every other nock out there only work a few shots if you're lucky. Just poor design. Firenocks are unique and work hundreds of times. Don't just tape the deer you shoot. Film yourself and other things in the woods like a squirrel climing up your tree or the spike that walks right under you. B roll footage. Best advice is to just get out there and do it. It is a little awkward at first but the added challenge of doing it yourself is much more rewarding than just climbing into the tree and hunting. Don't zoom in or out very fast at all. Panning back and forth and zooming quickly makes viewers dizzy and tough to follow what's going on. When you set up for the shot don't zoom in too far. That way if the deer takes another step or two before you release he/she won't be out of the frame and you don't have to hurry to adjust the camera. Also being zoomed out a little gives you an extra little bit to get to the camera after the shot and stay on the deer. If you're zoomed in tight it's nearly impossible to find a running deer through the viewfinder after the shot. There are tons of little things that help for good video. When I started I picked up some things from watching Dream Season with the Drury brothers. Paying attention to what they do on tv shows will get you in the right direction. Good luck and have fun.

Filming adds another element for sure. Adds weight/time/noise in setup but has its rewards as well. I'd recommend getting the most expensive camera arm mount you can afford. I've used the Gorilla and likes and all leave much to be desired. I've had my eye on the HunterCam Cradle for years but haven't committed. The biggest issue I have is bringing the camera out each time.