• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dropshot Questions

gritsnham

I have tried to become more comfortable with this method of fishing this year but have been slow on the learning curve. A couple questions:

-are you mainly trying to imitate minnows and using smaller baits?

-does the bottom type play a large role in when you decide to drop shot?

-what range of leader sizes will you use?

-and the last part is fishing the rig, any tips on how to get the shaking down so that im not moving the rig also? i think this may be my main problem and that i may be fishing to fast

Thanks for the help

Quote:
-are you mainly trying to imitate minnows and using smaller baits?

you can, not sure your trying to imitate anything. Just something. Its the only way you can suspend a piece of plastic off the bottom in a natural way. Some days I just cast my lure out there and dont shake it at all, more of a dead stick.

Quote:
-does the bottom type play a large role in when you decide to drop shot?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner question... Yes 100%, Hard bottom.. it doesnt always have to be rock, but rock doesnt hurt.. but hard bottom is key in my opinion.

Quote:
-what range of leader sizes will you use?

I assume you are talking about the distance from your lure to the sinker, not sure I would call that a leader, but I hope I understand what you are asking. 6"-18" but for the most part right around 12-14" for me.

Quote:
-and the last part is fishing the rig, any tips on how to get the shaking down so that im not moving the rig also? i think this may be my main problem and that i may be fishing to fast

Thanks for the help

Again, sometimes I dont shake it. Maybe try a heavier sinker? For the most part I do move mine some it just happens, its not a bad thing. But each cast will take well over 2 mins for the most part, and I am casting to a very precise area. Not fan casting, so when my lure is no longer where I want it to be, I reel in and cast again. Casts are fairly short as well, about 1/2 the distance of a normal cast or about as long as a long pitch.

If you are fishing deeper water, (15+) you might try fishing the drop shot vertical. Keep an eye on your sonar and keep the drop shot weight on the bottom with a tight line. Just move along very slowly with the trolling motor.