• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish House Question

green_sleeper

I have a 14ft wheelhouse and it has oak panelling on the walls whitch is glued on with construction adhesive. The oak is peeling off around the floor by the holes from when the slush hits the wall from the auger. The oak is like paper that is attached to the panelling. I was going to put fiberglass board on the walls as high as my counter all the way around the fish house because it is water proof. Then where the fiberglass board stops I was going to finish it off whith chair rail molding. What I was wondring is will I have a moisture problem inbetween the panelling?

I'm not a fan of adding a layer to any repair to begin with. Plus anytime you cover something up like that you risk trapping moister. So don't allow the moister to get there.

In this case the seams and corners need to be sealed.

You will need to stop capillary action as well. That would be the bottom of the paneling at the floor getting wet and pulling the water up into the cells of the paneling.

When you put the new panel on I'd use a waterproof adhesive and trowel it instead of a bead. Just check that the adhesive is compatible with the new panel.

Something you might not have considered, if the damage is just to the bottom to the paneling you could use a vinyl base instead of covering it all up.

green_sleeper, When I worked in the mobile home park, we'ed often have to repair the showers in the rental units. We'd smooth out the walls as best we could, coat them with vinyl floor covering cement and then put a floor covering on them. It worked great and held up very well. In your fish house it would have enough flexability that it would'nt tear as the house flexes. I'd question using fiberglass, that may crack or shatter in the cold when it's being towed. Phred52