• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone tried the Mini Planer Boards?

solbes

I bought an Off Shore mini planer board in the spring. I'm always looking to try something new, and this was a cheap addition to the boat.

Anyway I first used them for any extended amount of time last weekend during the evening. Caught many northerns behind it using a jointed shad rap. The first one bit within 5 seconds of first putting it out there. Overall on calm water it seemed to work pretty well. The cranks were about 30-35 feet from the boat. Large crankbaits will sink this thing.

My original intention is to use them at night to avoid spooking the shallow walleyes (our lake is 14' clarity). Say 12 feet of water or less running in the mid to upper column. Anyone tried this technique and had success? Would I get an additional benefit by going to a larger board that would put more space between the crank and boat?

I use the smaller boards shallow cranking at night (full moon nights) but it has to be calm, big waves take them out. We would keep them within 10-15 feet of the boat so we could see them.

I have used them, mostly on big flat areas you can really cover some water. Shallow water at night would be another good situation, though if there is a descent break it would be hard to keep the bait at the right depth. They also make a lighted version that would sure be nice at night.

Hmm, haven't seen the lighted version, but I will look for it. Tried the mini again Friday night with a silver blue jointed ShadRap. Nothing. Of course it was so dark I couldn't see it anyway.

Longlined perch taildancer over my favorite rockpile, waaallleeyye. Sometimes what's tried and true works best I guess.