• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fall birds

slayer21

Dont know if i got drawn yet but what strategies do you use in the fall that are diff from spring..i hunted for the 1st time this spring and never have for fall just wondering what i have to be prepared for..calling decoying etc..

it's called the scatter method where you sprint at a flock and they all get seperated and so then you pick a good spot to call from and in the fall the turkeys are like what riverrat said they will be in groups more often and stay in those groups so if you call to them with kee-kee's or basicly whatever you hear you will have good success but you have to only call as much as you hear.

I've had much better luck in the fall seting up near roost sites, both morning and evening.

You can usually hear a flock of birds fly up at night, then set up right under them early the next morning. Be sure to come in under cover of darkness and either be very still, or hide in a blind. Birds on a roost will see you as it gets light if not carefull. Nothing more exciting to me than hearing a mixed flock of birds waking up in the morning. If the same roost is used often you can usually get some good action waiting for them in the evening also.

You can also often hear a flock, or see a flock during the day and try to get close enough to call to them, or cut them off. As stated, try to imitate the calls you hear only maybe a liitle louder or longer.

I've busted flocks and called them back, but more often than not what happens is you just chase them off the property you're hunting and educated them enough that they may not come back.

However you decide to hunt them just get out there in an area they frequent and put in the time. Good thigs are bound to happen.