Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN Angler

lower unit problems

5 posts in this topic

I just replaced the impeller in my lower unit and am having trouble getting the lower unit back on. It is a 15hp 1983 Evinrude. The model numbers are as follows:E15RCTA , E0202904. I am able to get it all the way up but when shifting my gears are now messed up. What do I have to put the lower unit and main motor in for it to work? Is there any easy way of doing this? I spent 4 hours and feel like I have tried everything.

Thanks for the help

MN Angler

It can be a tough one, for any model. I have 25 hp evinrude and 40, 50, 150 hp mercs. The mercs are easier.

I know my rude is different than your 15 hp so can't really say. If the linkage adjustment is a "screw type" then it is like mine was, and you have to make sure to keep the bottom portion from moving - it is like two nuts if I recall, and make sure you only screw the top to tighten it. I screwedd the bottom, and it changed the adjustment and the same thing happened to me that happened to you. (It could be vice versa, I can't recall 100%.)

I wish I could help you more, but I had to take lower unit off twice for the rude as well, and had to run it in garge can full of water, as I didn't have muffs to test it...

Good luck! Others will be more help than me I am sure smile

I believe your outboard has the access window to coupler.

I'm guessing you don't have the sift rods set into the coupler all the way.

Since you have the lower unit on, put the shift lever into neutral. Through the window to coupler, remove one bolt(same bolt your removed to free the sift rod). Pull the lower sift rod into the coupler(I use a large hemostat), install the bolt and tighten.

No access cover on that one, you just have to have the case lowered enough to get to the coupler. I would agree that the shift shaft is not in the coupler all the way. The indentation in the shaft should be in the screw hole, if that makes any sense.

ok that must be my problem then, the shift shaft not all the way in the coupler. The old coupler and screws were kinda beat up so I decided to get new ones just have to find time to give it another whirl. Thanks again everyone

MN Angler