• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cordless Hedge Trimmer

David Frank

Question

I have been doing some scouting for archery deer season and have found a place where a long, narrow strip of cattails (about 30 - 40 yards wide) separates a corn field and a soybean field. The deer are bedding in the corn field durring the day, and crossing the cattails in the evening to feed in the soybean field. There is a tree right at the edge of the cattails on the soybean side, and I will be hanging a stand there for the upcoming archery season. The problem is, the deer are crossing the cattails in multiple different places.

I have permission from the landowner to cut a path through the cattails to funnel deer traffic closer to the tree where my stand will be. I'm thinking that the best way to do this may be with a cordless hedge trimmer, although I have never used one before. Does anybody have any experience with cordless hedge trimmers? Will a cordless hedge trimmer work for this application, or would there be a better method? The cattails are very thick, so I am concerned about battery strength. I would like to make this path about 10 feet wide.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

3 answers to this question

I was under the impression that cutting cattails is illegal without DNR permission. Might be worth your time to check with them first.

On the farm in central MN, we were thinking the same thing. We contacted the dnr, and they said as long as we don't tile the ground, and are just cutting them, and not getting rid of them, it was OK. Not sure what the Dakota's law is on that.