Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Frank

Cordless Hedge Trimmer

4 posts in this topic

I have been doing some scouting for archery deer season and have found a place where a long, narrow strip of cattails (about 30 - 40 yards wide) separates a corn field and a soybean field. The deer are bedding in the corn field durring the day, and crossing the cattails in the evening to feed in the soybean field. There is a tree right at the edge of the cattails on the soybean side, and I will be hanging a stand there for the upcoming archery season. The problem is, the deer are crossing the cattails in multiple different places.

I have permission from the landowner to cut a path through the cattails to funnel deer traffic closer to the tree where my stand will be. I'm thinking that the best way to do this may be with a cordless hedge trimmer, although I have never used one before. Does anybody have any experience with cordless hedge trimmers? Will a cordless hedge trimmer work for this application, or would there be a better method? The cattails are very thick, so I am concerned about battery strength. I would like to make this path about 10 feet wide.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

I doubt that a hedge trimmer would work. They are designed to snap off twigs. A gas weed whip with a brush cutter blade might do the trick

I was under the impression that cutting cattails is illegal without DNR permission. Might be worth your time to check with them first.

I was under the impression that cutting cattails is illegal without DNR permission. Might be worth your time to check with them first.

On the farm in central MN, we were thinking the same thing. We contacted the dnr, and they said as long as we don't tile the ground, and are just cutting them, and not getting rid of them, it was OK. Not sure what the Dakota's law is on that.