• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beef Brisket

Not the pros way but I never have a problem doing it this way.

Actually I will be cooking one all day tomorrow!!

Take the full brisket out of the fridge and place on a tinfoil covered cookie sheet.

Trim most of the fat off the brisket.

This will allow the smoke to enter the meat.

You want some fat left on but not too thick that the smoke can’t enter the meat.

Rub with one bottle of Chef Paul Prudhomme's Meat Magic.

Cover the brisket loosely and let it sit on the counter while you get your grill ready. This will allow some of the chill to come out of the meat before placing it on the grill.

I only use lump charcoal

Keep your grill low and slow with indirect heat about 220 deg

Once your grill is up to temp place the brisket in the center of the grill fat side up (or away from the heat source)

Keep the lid on the grill. Only open it to add charcoal and smoke.

I give mine two good smoking’s (3 if I think it needs it).

The first is after about 20 min in the grill you will see that the meat has started to get warm and will take smoke.

Give it one to one and a half handfuls of wood chips (I prefer hickory, use much less if you use mesquite).

Then just let it sit but keep the temp at about 220 never go much over 220 or under 200.

The meat will look really dry on the outside and it will look like it is not going to come out good but it is OK the salt dries the outside and seals the flavor in.

Do not mop the brisket.

After a few hrs you will see the meat start to render as soon as it does take it off the grill and wrap several layers of tinfoil over it to make sure it is sealed.

Then place it back on the grill for 2 to 3 hours more depending if you want to pull it or slice it.

When you feel it is done (you can test it by pushing on the tinfoil to see how it feels)

If you are just starting out use a meat thermometer

Take it out and put it in a large glass baking dish.

Peel the tinfoil away and keep the juices in the dish.

I will only slice my brisket with a meat slicer.

Once it is sliced pour some of the juices over the meat until it is at your desired juicyness.

Then release the hounds.

You will know if it was a good brisket if it is gone in 10 min or less.