Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sjc

paint for wood baits?

6 posts in this topic

I've started to make a few of my own muskie baits just wondering what other people are using, type of paint, oil or latex? what to use for base coats and top coats

has anyone used automotive type clear coats?

note: I already have a simple airbrush, and a small hvlp gun just looking for recomendations on the best type of paint to use

thanks in advance

Don is the expert.

But most guys I know use water based like auro air over a good primer coat on wood or plastic. Clear coats are more complicated discussion item though with many different opinions as to what's best.

What i use for making decoys is por-a-cast or smooth-cast first to seal the wood. Then a flat base white from a regular spray can. The paints i get from wasco or van dykes, is a polytranspar water based paint. Comes ready to go, don't need to thin it down for use in an airbrush. Then i use a few coats of rust-oleums crystal clear enamel. The key though is to get the wood sealed good first, or else you got problems.

I first dip in a sanding sealer, then prime with appliance epoxy paint out of a spray can. Next paint with water based paints such as regular createx or auto air or polytranspar or wildlife colors. Lastly I clear by dipping in Minwax clear gloss polyurethane.