• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which hand held GPS should I buy/

Tom7227

Question

My old IFinder Pro is dying and I am thinking about having to get a new one. I know that these posts sort of end up being a "Ford vs Chevy" sort of thing, but I would like to get some input. I am thinking about staying with Lowrance and wonder if the new Endura line is worth the bucks. If the installed base maps were really detailed then they might be, but if you have to pop for some software like I did with the old one then I can't see the benefit. On the other hand if you go for one of the IFinder series you're getting older technology (does it make any difference) and you probably have to get the MapCreate software for another hun or more. Anyone have any of the Endura series and what can you tell me about it.

Thanks for your time. Of course I am supposed to leave for a trip out west on Thursday so my research will have to be quick.

Tom

Ive got a H20 color i bought about 2 years back and have nothin but satisfactory results with it, from 20+ below, to 90+ degrees, its alwasys worked good for me it was well worth the money i think. ive got the lakemasters chip in it. the handheld GPS's are pretty hard on batteries when it gets real cold thoe.

Ive got a H20 color i bought about 2 years back and have nothin but satisfactory results with it, from 20+ below, to 90+ degrees, its alwasys worked good for me it was well worth the money i think. ive got the lakemasters chip in it. the handheld GPS's are pretty hard on batteries when it gets real cold thoe.

What kind of batteries are you using? Different types will work better at different extremes. I believe lithium batteries are better for cold temperatures whereas alkaline may not. NiMH batteries can work at colder temps but lithium are better. I don't know if you can just use any type in any device though.