• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

General Fishing Date Question

Working on planning a trip for 2010, the lake we were trying to get into has dates available in August for the cabin size we are looking at. I know there are a lot of variables, but is the walleye fishing as good in August as if we were to go in June or July? I went maybe 6 years ago in the end of June and we did ok, what would be a pretty safe date to shoot for to get into some decent fishing? Thanks.

Maybe other guys who have done mutch Canadian walley fishing in August can chime in here, but I don't feel August is a good month for walleye fishing in general. Personally I'd rather be going in June or July.

It depends on the lake. August is a great time to walleye fish in my opinion. Each season fishes "differnt". Generally if your fishing June spots you will not catch much on those spots in August. I would ask the outfitter your referring to for referances in August and ask to talk to multiple people. If they can not provide lots of referances a red flag should be seen.

As, LM mentioned August can be great. We always did just as good at Happy Landing in August as we did in June, some years it was even better in August. The walleyes are on the Reefs and you can sit right on top of them with a lindy and a leech or a jig and a leech and catch one right after another all day long.

It does depend on the lake big time though so check with your outfitter and ask a few key questions, then post them on here and we can tell you if they are right or not.

Good Luck

I personally like August for a fishing trip to Canada. Nice thing about August is that the weather is usually stable and you don't have to endure cold temps or savage rain like in May and early June. The walleyes are glued to the reefs and major points so once you locate them they are easy to find again. You don't say where you are going to, but if it is a major water like Lac Suel, LOW, Rainy, English River, etc. the fishing should be excellent. If you are flying in don't worry about the fish biting.

We are looking at the same scenario, a change in timing of our trip from June to August next year. Good to hear the recommendations on walleye fishing.

We target smallmouths most of the time on our trips, but have never gone in July or August. Are smallies still as active and in the same areas as in June?

Generally, in June we have found that if you have rocks with blowdown timber, you will find smallmouths .

We will be fishing near Ignace, ON if this is the place I decide to go with. I emailed the owner and she said the fishing is just as good, but the weather is better and there are less bugs. We aren't diehard walleye guys by any means, we just want a chance to get up to some better waters than what I have around home...I don't want it to be a bust either though. Thanks for the info again guys.

Bait956,

In August you will find most of the big smallies deep off the rock reefs, the same places you will find the walleyes. You can either use live bait or we like to use dark colored tubes. In the evenings or when the wind clams down, you can run topwater over the tops of the reefs and they come up and explode on them.

We also find them on shear rock walls. They are rock walls that drop down 25-30'. The bass trap the baitfish along the walls, they use it much like an ambush spot not much different than they do on the reefs. We drop plastics right along the edge and if they are there they will bite.

You will find bass at your june blow down timber/rock rubble shorelines, but they tend to be very small fish. It seems like when you are pounding the shoreline in late summer, it small fish up shallow and big fish down deep.

If you have any other questions, just email me at [email protected]

Good Luck