• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

baitcasters

twostroke

right now I have some King Kat combos I bought 10 years ago so the eyelets are small on them(spinning combos) also some other variety of larger but cheaper spinning set ups. I like the baitcasters and the bait feeder clicking system. I have one set up from my muskie fishing days it is a 6'mh rod with a abu garcia reel but I can't remember the model spooled with 50lbs dacron line. I would like to get more into flats but we also have been know the pull the lip of a few sturgeon and lots of channels. Any suggestions would be great.

That tread that Herekittykitty posted pretty much covers it all. As you’ll see Abu Garcia’s 6500-7000’s have been a workhorse for many of us catters. I’ve also used some Shimano Tekota’s and they are pretty sweet reels but will cost ya a little more. I personally prefer the 7000’s over the 6500 because they have a stronger clicker and a power handle. For line choice it would be #65-80 HiViz Sufix or PowerPro.

Good luck and welcome to FM

I use an abu garcia C3 6501(left hand retrieve) with 50lb power pro. I love it because I got it on sale, it's works great, and very economical compared to a number of other reels out there. I don't mind if I get it scuffed up a bit or beat it up a little, especially with maintanence this tough reel will last a good long while.

6501tc came with the power handle, I absolutely love it and the clocker is nice n loud! Guys on here recomended it for me. Come with a 6:3:1 ratio, got it on a pretty popular catfish site.

Are you guys with the 01's left handed? I know some right handed people that like the left hand reel. I am right handed and find the left handed reel clunky and awkward even though I am used to spinning reels.

Nah, I'm right handed. I can use right or left crank baitcasters without much difficulty switching, I can't use right-crank spinning reels though.

It's mostly a shoulder and arm thing, left-crank baitcaster reels let my right arm take more of the work in a day of casting.