• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody get your liscense yet? ELK

I applied with six other guys and three have gotten notification and the tags in the mail with refunds. I haven't seen a thing yet. I went online and it showed I drew a cow tag but I haven't seen a refund or a lisc yet. Just curious if anyone else has seen a tag or refund and when you got them. Thanks.

Tunrevir~

I think I did that before also, I hadn't purchased a habitat stamp at the time I applied so they held my deer tag until I purchased the stamp.

It's not a big deal, if you have your confirmation number that you drew, you can take that number to a license agent in CO. when you get there and they will print your tag right on the spot with the habitat stamp and all.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I payed for a habitat stamp but just haven't seen or heard anything on the lisc or refund. I went online and saw that I was drawn for a cow tag so I'll get the confirmation number and have it on hand just in case. Thanks for the advice!

Tunrevir~

I'm hunting 24. Hopefully better chance with a large herd in that area. Doesn't look like a lot of elk shot in 161 last year. Looks like a good area though when traveling through. Good luck.

Not elk, but did get my deer tag for 28. Speaking of 161, my bud had poor luck there last year for gun season but they have done pretty good overall in the past. I hunted there once:

2004_Scott_s_5x6_Elk_002.jpg

P1010084.jpg

NICE !!!

Can't say that we have done outstanding in 161 for Elk over the years, we hunt public land only and there is a lot of private stuff in that area. When the hunt is on and the weather is nice, it's tough, the elk head for the private stuff and if you don't have snow, wind, rain and cold, they won't move. You don't see big herds in the area we hunt, you'll see 3, 4, 5 or 10 animals or single bulls running around. If the weather changes for the worse then you could see much bigger herds.

Last year, all 4 of us had elk tags, we only filled one tag but we all had opertunities in one form or another to harvest an animal, thats hunting I guess. In '06 we went 4 out of 5 for elk that year, plus we had 3 deer to bring home too..... that's a lot of meat !

In the dozen or so trips I've taken out there over the years, I can only think of 2 trips we come home with nothing as far as elk go, we put in a lot of time and will hunt most of the season to try to get something.

The main reason we hunt 161 is that we know the area we hunt like the back of our hand and that's a plus.

Mike

You've done much better than my bud out there over the years. Believe last fall they didn't even see an elk and don't think they have ever gotten more than one in a season. When I went, that bull was the only elk I saw in 5 days! Never heard a bugle.

I've got 4 pref points for elk now - time to figure out where to burn them. I'm leaning towards GMU 76 as of now. Tough part getting a group together in a limited draw area as most do not offer cow tags.

You've done much better than my bud out there over the years. Believe last fall they didn't even see an elk and don't think they have ever gotten more than one in a season. When I went, that bull was the only elk I saw in 5 days! Never heard a bugle.

HMMM..... Sounds like your buds might be spending too much time at the Stockmans in Walden gringrin J/K

I have never heard a bugle during the daytime out there, I hear it sometimes in the night but who knows who's screwing around with a call at other camps, I don't get worked up about it, the bugle season is pretty much over by the time we get out there in late Oct. That being said, last year, one of the fellows we know from Kentucky was trying to call in a young 5x5 that was still bugleing, he couldn't get him convinced though, he didn't connect.

Hope you find a good GMU to hunt, it takes time to build them points, hate to waste them.

Mike

Well guys, my refund came in the mail yesterday, I have a preference point and a cow tag as things stand right now. My dad got a bull tag. Can't think of the unit off the top of my head but we are on public land near Craig. I'll be in the woods for ten days from beginning of the rifle season. My first time with a rifle out there but been out twice with a bow and went 1/2 on cows. Got a cow the first year and missed on a cow the second year. It has been about ten years since I hunted out there and I get the added bonus that I'll be out there with my 70 y.o. dad to enjoy the hunt. I'm gonna bring the rod and reel along as I hear the trout bite pretty well in the fall. Good luck and good hunting! I think the hangup was that they sent things to my old address. It must have kicked out due to my conservation number.

Tunrevir~