• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jambalaya

Okay, I know is kind of like chicken noodle soup, lots of variations, but what are basics? I made something similar a couple weeks ago with shrimp, scallops, rice and lentels but I was at Stella's last night in Mpls. and their version had more of a stew sauce, which I am sure came with the tomato's. and in the middle was a pile of rice. I have 85% of their recipie in my head, anyone care to share their recipies for this dish?

I found this information that may be helpful.

There are countless variations on this dish. According to food historian and writer John Egerton, in Gonzales, Louisiana, the self-proclaimed Jambalaya Capital of the World, you can find about as many recipes for this dish as there are households. (Gonzales holds an annual Jambalaya cook-off contest.) Jambalaya may be made with beef, pork, chicken, duck, shrimp, oysters, crayfish, sausage, or any combination. Some of the more standard additions are green pepper, cayenne pepper, tomatoes, celery, and onions. Generally, the vegetables are sautéed and meat(s) cooked, then broth or water, tomatoes, seasonings, and uncooked rice are added. The mixture is simmered until the rice is done, and shrimp (or any other foods which should not be overcooked) are added near the end of the cooking time.

JAMBALAYA

1/3 cup olive oil

3 lg. onions, chopped

3 celery ribs, chopped

2 green or red bell peppers, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 pound spicy, garlicky sausage, such as andouille or chorizo, sliced

6 boneless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces

3 bay leaves

1 T. salt

2 t. ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)

2 t. dried thyme

1/2 t. ground cloves

1/4 t. ground allspice

3 cups white rice

8 cups chicken stock

Chopped scallions

1. In a very large stew pot, heat the oil over medium heat and add the

onions, celery, peppers, and garlic.

Cook until theysoften and start to color, 6-8 minutes.

Add the sausage and chicken.

Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, stiring often, until the meat

and vegetables are browned.

2. Stire in bay leaves, salt, cayenne, thyme, cloves, allspice, and rice.

Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring, until the rice grains begin to turn opaque and slightly browned.

3. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat, cover, and leave to simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let sit covered for another 10-15 minutes, until the rice is tender and has absorbed

all the liquid.

4. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped scallions.

This is from David Bowers book 'Bake it Like a Man'

Form what you wrote, it kind of sounds like you had a bowl of Gumbo.

Here's one I make that incorporates Zaterains Box Mix (which is actually quite good).

New Orleans Style Jambalaya

2 tbls vegtable oil

1 cup chopped onions

1 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

Salt

1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices

3 bay leaves

1 tsp chopped garlic

1 can cut up tomotoes

1 Box Zatarains Jambalaya Mix

3 cups chicken stalk

1 pound cooked shrimp

In large saucepan, heat the vegtable oil. When oil is hot, add the onion, peppers, & celery.

Season lightly with salt. Saute vegtables for about 5 minutes, or till soft. Add garlic & sausage,

sautee for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes & bay leaves, saute for 2 minutes. Stir in Jumbalaya Mix, saute for 2 minutes.

Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, cover, then simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat, add cooked shrimp, and let set till it thickens (about 10 minutes.)