• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody out paddling lately???

I've been putting forth the effort to at least get out once a week. I'm lucky enough to have summer hours here at work, I just have to put in 4 hrs on Fridays then I'm off to canoe and fish. Last weeks foray resulted in a couple of largemouth approaching 19", that's after catching a half dozen little guys. The smaller fish came from some of my usual spots, but the bigger girls came from areas I usually don't target. With water levels so low, I'm being forced to find new areas of the lakes to fish. Which tests my skill or lack there of. smile

A person gets in the rut of hitting the same places over and over, I'd like to change that aspect somewhat this year, but so far no luck. wink I saw a couple of guys targeting muskies from kayaks last week, something I'd like to try from my canoe, but I've already found out that it's tough to be in control when I've got a 4-5lb bass on the line. I can't imagine trying to land a fish that weighs more than my canoe from my canoe. Then there's the MN River that I pass over twice daily, and I always tell myself "one of these days". I need to add to this years fish species list, and what better place to that than on one of our rivers. Yep, one of these days.

I did my first solo trip up into the BW in mid-May, definitely a different experience. I was ok while paddling around, but it sure was quiet in camp, the radio kept me from going insane. My goal is to make it up there at least two more times this paddling season, with or without people. I've avoided bug season up there for the past ten years, but I think it's time once again to don the headnet; the fishing HAS to be better than when I go there in Oct.

So......is anybody else getting out or have any trips planned?

I'm going to be going on my first lengthy solo starting this week Thursday. I'm leaving out of Kawishiwi Lake, going east to Alton and then north and west through Mahlberg and back down through Polly. Should be interesting...

carmike...

I don't know about this year, but the bears around Polly have been camp robbers the last few years. Good luck, have fun and give us a report when you return.

I got into a small tiger muskie last Friday and some small bass. I need to hook up the Marcum for this weeks trip, especially if I try trolling again, I had no idea what depths I was at on Fri.

Anybody get out this past weekend? Looked like a perfect day for it on Saturday, the closest I got to wetting a line was taking the golfcart ferry across O'Dowd. Should've thrown the Pocket Fisherman in the golf bag. wink

The wind really cut down on our options on Saturday. Backtrolling in the Souris was out of the question, so we hid in a small inlet most of the day. Thankfully, we discovered a virtually unlimited supply of eater size walleyes sitting in 1-3 feet of water in the weeds. They latched onto our jigs readily, and we finally cleaned our catch and battled back to the portage out mid-afternoon.

My hands are a little sore today from the death-grip on the paddle. 2-3 foot waves in a crosswind just ain't fun.

Jackpine you lucky dog, having a home base so close to canoeing nirvana. Although at this time of year the local city scenery can be hard to beat (Hubba Hubba) smile

Eater walleyes. That's the best kind of 'eyes. I'm really starting to dig my Souris, have you ever done the refinishing gig to your Souris to get rid of cosmetic scratches??

After my sis and bro-in-law gouged the heck out of mine dragging it up the Basswood River a few years ago, I had to use some epoxy on a few of the deeper gouges.

When I was done screaming at them, they beat feet up to Red Rock and got some of that 303 stuff, and rolled it on. Looked pretty good!