• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St Croix River

I caught my first muskie on saturday out of the st. croix near hinckley! It was kind of an accident, I was fishing for bass with a medium spinning rod and 8 lb test (which made landing a 30" 'ski all the more exciting)...but I really want to catch another muskie.

However, I have a few questions:

1. Anybody out there fish the st croix for muskie, and was catching one smaller muskie while bass fishing seem like a rarity, or are there plenty of others out there waiting to be caught?

2. All's I have are a couple MH 7' baitcasting setups with 17# mono that I use for bass fishing. Would I be foolish to try and hook a bigger muskie with that kind of rig?

Any feedback is great! All I can think about now is trying to catch another muskie!!

oh really? I kind of thought so...I would feel a little irresponsible if I used too light of line, and had it break and left a lure in a nice fish's mouth. thanks

If I bought a heavy rod, what size line would you recommend?

MH rods can work fine, respool one with a 65lb braid, it will have the equivalent diameter to 12-15lb mono. Get some heavier leaders and up there on the 'croix, i'd get some topwater lures. Or just keep fishing your bass stuff, elephants do eat and love peanuts!

Hiya -

First and foremost - congrats on the first muskie! Very cool. You made your first one pretty exciting too catching it on light bass gear.

I catch many muskies every year on heavy bass gear. I use a flipping stick to throw a lot of small to mid-sized muskie baits like small bucktails, minnow baits and topwaters. Most of the time it's with heavier braid, but I used 20# mono a lot in the past. Frankly, if you know how to fight a fish half way competently, the muskie hasn't been born you can't whip on 20# mono and a flipping stick.

Depending on the rod, the 7' MH may be fine if it has enough power. 17# mono is probably ok too for occasional muskie fishing - just be sure to have a wire leader. If you're going to do it a little more often, a flipping stick and 50# braid is a pretty versatile rod to have around - lots of other uses besides muskies, from flipping to Carolina rigs to catfish to whatever. Might be worth the investment...

Good luck with the muskies. smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Mike, I just moved to Stillwater and I'm fishing the Croix for the first time early Saturday morning for a couple hours and you're welcome to jump in and see how we roll equipment-wise. I've got some extra outfits you can try and see what you like.

You already caught your first musky, you can't uncatch it, it's too late - welcome to a life of futility and anguish wink