Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikes530

Bow Fishing on Minnetonka

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone know any good bow fishing spots on Minnetonka??? That are kind of hidden away from people?

Thanks

Not legal to shoot on Tonka. Trust me I've checked. I wish it were though. See more carp out there than any other lake I've been to.

It is perfectly legal to shoot on Minnetonka. As long as you are in a boat. "trust me I've checked" and been checked multiple times. I did get a written warning for "discarge of a firearm" for shooting off a dock in Browns bay. The guy told me to use a boat next time.

Greys landing near the outlet, Lafayette bay, Spring Park bay, and my "secret" spot. wink Are all good places to look at various times of the spring/early summer. Hmmm, mabe I should go back... Its been a couple years....

There are no "private" areas to fish out there. Weekdays are your best bet. Expect to get checked!!! And make sure you have everything in order. Licences, bow cases, and a copy of the regs book for sure. And when in doubt, bug out. It is not worth the argument. If you see others or pleasure boaters go someplace else.

One guy said he had to go to court even. Although we don't know if he was on shore or in a boat. Last year when I called the Minnetonka DNR they told me no, because of the "discharge of a weapon" It sounds like it depends on who stops you out there. There are definately way too many carp in there, I don't know why it would be illegal. The arrows can only go about 50 feet anyway, and their tied to your bow. ?????

I think it depends on where you go. I believe on waconia you cant shoot a bow anywhere south the the island cuz its considered city, but ive done it and never had a problem.

so my advice would be go during the week and try to find a spot in the middle or away from houses (if thats possible, only ever fished cooks bay to black)

I went bow fishing in the middle of downtown wayzata that probley wasnt a good idea but i didnt get in trouble it was a good spot but will never bow fish there again too many people asking if it was legal i just said it was

Never had a problem in Tonka. We have always been in and around Greys and haven't run into any problems. One year we did get the park police after us for bowfishing on Harriet. Once they understood what we were doing they said we could continue as long as we let them know when we were going out. Seems like sort of a gray area that cities need to start defining as the sport becomes more popular.