• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dual Registration for a Class II ATV

merkman

I hate to answer with a question, but why would you need to dual register a Class II ATV?

The normal registration allows you to not only drive on Class II designated trails, but also allows you to drive on the far right hand side of township and county roads where it's not otherwise illegal per the local authorities.

The only reason for you to dual-register a Class II atv is if you intend to run Tracks on it, a track kit will change the designation from Class II to ORV, different regulations for each.

Confused yet? MN has some Funky laws, every county will be different, LEO's and CO's individual interpretations may vary.

I hate to answer with a question, but why would you need to dual register a Class II ATV?

Yes, that is my question.

Just to clarify

I am talking about dual registration as it pertains to DNR Trails and AG Private Use.

I do have tracks that I use in the winter, on frozen lakes primarily.

Will I need some other registration for that? (for some counties, LEO's, or CO's?)

I prefer to cover all the bases upfront rather than argue the issue later.

Is there any advantage to paying the extra $14.50 for a lifetime AG registration?

Do I need an OHV registration when the tracks are installed?

You don't need the AG registration for a Class II ATV. Only on a Class I.

When you add your tracks to your machine, that's when, as Somethingfishy said, you'll need to have the OHV registration on it while on the lakes.

While on the trails, you can:

1) ride a Class II on designated trails (for Class II) while the machine is equipped with tires/wheels.

2) Drive on the extreme right hand side of County and Township roads if it's not otherwise banned by either authority.

3) Drive on frozen public waters where you have legal access. NOTE: Frozen waters means they must be totally frozen from shore to shore. Depending on the CO or LEO, 6" of open water between shore and the ice will be too much.

Adding tracks changes the configuration of your machine and you will then be bound by the registration and laws that pertain to OHVs.

I'm not 100% certain on what ATV laws passed and will be taking effect on June 9th, but it sounds as though the displacement limit did pass.

I realize the laws for ATVs are a bungled mess. If you have any more questions, I will do my best to decipher the laws for you.

There is no advantage to having an Ag registration on a Class II ATV now. The laws changed a couple years ago to allow the same privileges with the current Class II registration as you had with the Ag. reg.

To add to the confusion, the law changed again the year after. The reason being, the first chage permitted travel on state highways. The subsequent change banned travel on state roads but continues to allow travel on the extreme right hand side of county and township roads.

NOTE: driving a Class II ATV in the ditch is illegal state wide in MN.

You must also have a valid MN Driver's License to operate anywhere within the Road Right of Way on either Class I or Class II ATVs. Farm permits DO NOT permit ATV operation within the ROW.

Ag Registration on a Class I ATV gives the extra privilege of operating a Class I ATV within the ROW of County Roads for Farming type purposes such as harvesting firewood or travel to/from home to the fields.

Travel on township roads is legal with the Public Use Registration on a Class I ATV unless it's otherwise forbidden by the Township.