Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      How to create an @mention - Click Here   07/16/2015

      You can use the @mention aspect whenever you want someone to be notified about a post or let them know you are talking about them. Type the @ symbol type in a couple "lowercase" letters pause then once the names pop-up either select or keep typing in letters to narrow down the list until you get the @mention name you are looking for. You can play a game so members can see how it works. If you want to practice or If your name has been @mentioned below you should see it in your notifications (upper right) and you then have to @mention one or two members who haven't been mentioned inthe comments section below. Let's see how long we can keep this going. Anyone who duplicates a name that has already been @mentioned loses. This is the first group to be @mentioned to get the ball rolling: @Borch @Scott K @Corey Bechtold @Matt Johnson @mrklean @eyeguy 54 @Finns @IceHawk @MarkB @Cliff Wagenbach @Wayne Ek
Sign in to follow this  

Dual Registration for a Class II ATV

Recommended Posts

I hate to answer with a question, but why would you need to dual register a Class II ATV?

The normal registration allows you to not only drive on Class II designated trails, but also allows you to drive on the far right hand side of township and county roads where it's not otherwise illegal per the local authorities.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only reason for you to dual-register a Class II atv is if you intend to run Tracks on it, a track kit will change the designation from Class II to ORV, different regulations for each.

Confused yet? MN has some Funky laws, every county will be different, LEO's and CO's individual interpretations may vary.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to answer with a question, but why would you need to dual register a Class II ATV?

Yes, that is my question.

Just to clarify

I am talking about dual registration as it pertains to DNR Trails and AG Private Use.

I do have tracks that I use in the winter, on frozen lakes primarily.

Will I need some other registration for that? (for some counties, LEO's, or CO's?)

I prefer to cover all the bases upfront rather than argue the issue later.

Is there any advantage to paying the extra $14.50 for a lifetime AG registration?

Do I need an OHV registration when the tracks are installed?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need the AG registration for a Class II ATV. Only on a Class I.

When you add your tracks to your machine, that's when, as Somethingfishy said, you'll need to have the OHV registration on it while on the lakes.

While on the trails, you can:

1) ride a Class II on designated trails (for Class II) while the machine is equipped with tires/wheels.

2) Drive on the extreme right hand side of County and Township roads if it's not otherwise banned by either authority.

3) Drive on frozen public waters where you have legal access. NOTE: Frozen waters means they must be totally frozen from shore to shore. Depending on the CO or LEO, 6" of open water between shore and the ice will be too much.

Adding tracks changes the configuration of your machine and you will then be bound by the registration and laws that pertain to OHVs.

I'm not 100% certain on what ATV laws passed and will be taking effect on June 9th, but it sounds as though the displacement limit did pass.

I realize the laws for ATVs are a bungled mess. If you have any more questions, I will do my best to decipher the laws for you.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no advantage to having an Ag registration on a Class II ATV now. The laws changed a couple years ago to allow the same privileges with the current Class II registration as you had with the Ag. reg.

To add to the confusion, the law changed again the year after. The reason being, the first chage permitted travel on state highways. The subsequent change banned travel on state roads but continues to allow travel on the extreme right hand side of county and township roads.

NOTE: driving a Class II ATV in the ditch is illegal state wide in MN.

You must also have a valid MN Driver's License to operate anywhere within the Road Right of Way on either Class I or Class II ATVs. Farm permits DO NOT permit ATV operation within the ROW.

Ag Registration on a Class I ATV gives the extra privilege of operating a Class I ATV within the ROW of County Roads for Farming type purposes such as harvesting firewood or travel to/from home to the fields.

Travel on township roads is legal with the Public Use Registration on a Class I ATV unless it's otherwise forbidden by the Township.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess I will buy a OHV registration also for the times I have tracks on it.

I am going to need a new licence plate soon to make room for all the tags. lol

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Posts

    • I still planned to shoot my ML some, even not going hunting.  Pretty much out of primers and getting low on white hots so I swung into the Baxter FF on my way to Winnie for the weekend. They were completely out of primers and had just gotten restocked that day with propellants.  The counter guy said they went through a ton of ML supplies this year, owing the surge to scopes being allowed.  I bought some Buckhorn to try out and will have to get primers later. Anyone with a last day story to tell?
    • i think those jackknife couches are 72 inches but not positive, will check on that.  The back dinette bed would be almost 8 feet wide. Here are some more pics of the furnace, batteries, and hydraulic system under the couch.  Also the Biffy and closet in the front, the stereo system with Bluetooth, some USB charging ports next to it, cabinet for the satellite receiver with all connections tucked inside.  Pic of the outside 30 amp generator plug in and propane tanks.  Has lights over the tanks and entry door.  You can connect whatever you want to the tv, so yes a water camera would work on that.  Hoping to get on the ice next weekend!!  Good luck to all...
    • Meh, I can protect myself just fine with or without a $1000 rifle. My $100 Hi-Point .45 will make you just as dead as that AR. It's more than likely one of those crazy arse Christians that I need to protect myself from.
    • Yea, well down in Belle Plaine you got all those gun toting Christians to protect your ars!
    • Them gun safe's ain't filling themselves I thought we all already had one.    
    • Yes, I know that. But the squirrel tail is the best material for jigs. My intent was to let you know the PREFERRED material for tying. It would also be the PREFERRED material for tying jigs. Marabou would also make dynamite jigs but would not be as durable.
    • The one I have only runs when the furnace is on.  In the summer I turn off the water that goes to it and turn down the humidistat.  There are no moving parts in mine.  In the winter a solenoid opens the water line and water trickles over a filter like thing.  Unless your rig is really old I suspect it works about the same way.  Be sure to keep the humidity in the house to the proper level.  You can get all sorts of guidance on line.
  • Our Sponsors