• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eviction Notice......

to the Red squirrels that took uo residency in my hot tub outside on the deck.

I opened up the side panels and found their main nesting spot but I haven't been able to get them out in the open for a clean "shot". I was thinking of getting some rat poison, the large square chewable ones, and place them in their nest.

I will need to secure the poison so it does not get transfered somewhere other than the tub base.

Other than that and ideas?

I would like to rid the neighborhood of these little devils and I know nobody would have a problem with that.

Mike

I read it here in one of the forems last year and tried it and it worked. You take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it half full of water. Pour sunflower seeds with the shells on on top of the water. An inch or two thick. They float. Place a 1-2 inch wide stick over the bucket. I ran the stick from a wood pile, that they used to travel, to the bucket and made it look like a littie diving board. Place some sunflower seeds on the stick as an attractent. They see the bucket full of seeds and jump in thinking they hit the motherload. They can't swim for very long. The seeds will get water logged after a while and you will have to replace them. Buy a bag of cheep ones. You might get a few mice this way too.

I was thinking of getting some rat poison, the large square chewable ones, and place them in their nest.
Better to live trap them and/or kill them when they are out and about rather than poisoning them and letting them die in some little nook or cranny deep inside your tub skirting. The stench will make your tub unbearable for a few weeks.

Whatever you do do it quickly. they WILL be gnawing into your plumbing soon (if they haven't started already).