• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Question

MWellner

Question

First of all I prefer an US made spinning rod especially St. Croix. I don't know if the G Loomis Walleye Series are US made at all for the price of $215.00. I have a G Loomis GL2 for jigging, but I had a Fenwick Walleye Class for trolling spinners, and I have been very happy with this rod, however the tip broke again, and its getting old. Its medium power, medium action.

I described what I wanted to the store owner, I want a rod for trolling and not too sensitive. He said medium power, extra fast action is what I wanted. I felt my GL Loomis with a fast action was too sensitive for trolling. I prefer a rod around 6'6", Im about a foot shorter. I cannot find what I want in the St. Croix PDF unless I want a 7' footer.

This seems interesting

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, thank you.

9 answers to this question

Here is a rod blank that should fit the bill for you, that is if you are willing to work with a custom builder.

3S66MF Bass/Walleye AVS66MF 6'6" 6-12 3/16-5/8 1 M FAST 0.500 5.0 1.6

And we do have a new site sponsor that is a custom builder. Going with a custom builder allows you to get a rod made to the exact specs you want. May be worth giving them a call.

Here is there contact info.

LakeLady Custom Rods may be contacted through their web site at: www. Lakeladyrods.com or email: [email protected] or by phone at 218-562-4512.

I'm totally with you on the US built rods. You said you want to use it for trolling, what are you trolling? If your trolling spinners I use two rods. One is a G. Loomis IMX HSR9000 and the other is a St. Croix Legend Walleye Tournement TWS76MLF. IMO the St. Croix has a little more forgiveness in it's action which might be what you are looking for. Both of these are great rods and both of these blanks are built right here in America, by Americans.

For trolling spinners and lindy rigs the trend right now is to go LONG. A longer rod give you a few advantages over a short rod. First it allows the manufacturer to build in a softer action but still able to have plenty of backbone for hooksets and controling your fish. Second it allows you to net the fish easier especially when using long snells which also seem to be the way things are moving. A longer rod also lets you pick up more line between you and the sinker especially if fishing deep giving you better hooksets than with a shorter rod.

You can pick up the St. Croix for under $200 when it's on sale. Hope this helps.

There are many options out there for rods and the ones made overseas are just as good. The majority if not all of the components for rods are from overseas. many of the blanks are also from overseas and will get the job done very well for you.

Check out these links.

http://jasonmitchellrods.com/pages/open_water.php

If your looking for a custon built rod that will be one of the very best and built to fit you personally, check out Kris at this link.

http://www.lakeladyrods.com/

St. Croix rods are made in China now.

The Triumph and below are made in China to compete price wise with the other imported rods, some of the Premier rods are now made in "North America" and the Avid and above are made in Park Falls, Wi.