Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Bigguyone

Pike on Vermillion - the BIG "V"

I am planning a trip up to Vermillion May30-June 6th...we are traveling 1000+miles in search of some Pike, smallies and eyes.

I am looking for some insight/assistance on where and how to get into the pike on Vermillion...if you have some smallie assistance I would appreciate it too.

THANK YOU very much and feel free to email me at Dustin@freemydollars.com if you would prefer not to post in the "open." Thank you VERY MUCH!

What part of the lake are you staying on Bigguyone?

My favorite bait/tactic to use on Vermilion is a Northland Willow leaf spinnerbait with a twistertail trailer.

Find some submerged weeds (coontail or cabbage) and position your boat so that you are casting up the deep edge. Vary your retrieve from just skimming the surface to 18" under.

If that isn't producing fish, go shallower back into the bays and work the "junk weed". These areas are usually good for numbers of fish, but tends to lack in size.

Good Luck

We are staying at Shamrock.

Have an 18' 150hp boat so can run the lake as needed.

Spinnerbaits are the lure of choice for me usually as well for pike - sure I will throw them a lot.

I do wanna try to build some confidence in soft swimbaits like the hollow belly on a darter head - almost using it like a "soft crank."

Any certain areas of the lake you recommend for pike?

Would love to chase the skies but the two reasons that is not the focus is - 2 of the 3 guys have never fished MN, and 2 of them have never caught a pike or ski over 32"....so just to get them into pike will be easier to get their technique down I think...my luck they will inadvertently hook into a 52" ski while throwin for pike...we will see how they do - LOL

Also we have more skies in Utah than we do pike...already boated a nice one for the season and only threw for skies about 2 hours - he went 20.5lbs and in 2.4' of water...good times. It was on a tiny "pond" only about 130acres that the state put them in there a few years back.

Hello,

Just got back from Vermillion yesterday and the best area for Pike for us was on a windy day (5/19), we were running a drift from the so. side of Gull island toward Van Ryper bay in Vermillion. It seemed when we would get into about 12 fow, the Northerns would hit, we got about 5 of them from 26 - 34 inches on lindy's. We also had some walleye's hitting there too--there was a lot of fish being pushed that way in the tide. Wind gusts were up to 20-25mph and we were riding the caps, but man they were hitting.

Barry