• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trolling motor cable drive vs. power

Eskimoman

Powerdrives and Terrovas have copilot and autopilot options that you don't get with cable steer motors, they have a smaller footprint for mounting which may be a concern on some boats, and the foot pedal is smaller and removable so it's not always there and taking up space on the deck like the foot control for a cable steer motor.

I like the thread. I've only ever owned Powerdrive models but I'm getting a new rig and have been wondering about the pros and cons of moving to a cable drive.

As far as what boats in MN have it seems that the ratio is about 75-25 in favor of the powerdrives. But if you look at only Television shows and/or Pro boats that ratio flips to about 95% Cable drive.........

I have had both, running a power drive now. If and when this one goes out I will return to a cable drive. I do 99% bass fishing and I always liked the quicker response of the cable drive. I almost never use my auto pilot. If I fished for more of a mixed bag then perhaps I would stick with a power drive and auto pilot. I also bought the power drive when I had kids fishing with me so I could control the motor from the stern and keep the kids in my line of sight. Kids have grown up so another reason for me to go back to the cable drive.