• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Locator Call

Diago

Hi,

I am new to turkey hunting. This year was my first attempt and although I did not get a turkey, I am hooked. I had one come in to my gobbles and spot me at 60 yards. What a thrill.

What would you experienced hunters recomend for a locator call? Can you walk a trail and use the locator call and wait for a responce before setting uP. Is that a good way to hunt?

Thanks for the help?

Jim

locators are over rated but barred owl and crow are standbys

with coyote howl, goose, and peacock-pileated woodpecker overlooked

running and gunning can work even without shocking

most times in morning they dont need a shock

I am not sure about the "over rated" part especially when prospecting after a morning hunt but the advantage of a true locator call is that a gobbler will give away his location and NOT come looking for you. If you use a yelp, cuts or any other hen turkey call you run the risk of bumping the tom before you get fully set up. All of the above calls fletcher mentioned are good I have used all varying degree's of success. The key is to understand there is no one call that will work all of the time and having more options available to you in the woods may help tip the odd's in your favor when the birds are tightlipped.