• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow Dawgs?

Most posting about Bull Dawgs seem to be about the weighted versions (I think). Anyone have much success on the unweighted shallow Dawgs? Or do you have better luck with a different shallow running swimbait/plastic?

Thanks!

When the fish move shallow, or are lethargic shallow is the way to go - You cannot work them in the same manner as regular weighted models though as 90% of the time they will roll over. What you need to do is work them slow and deliberate - They hang unbelievably awesome. Long slow pulls will make them rise - Once at the surface gather all of your line quickly without putting added movement on the bait, pause, let sink, repeat. When that baby hangs and starts it's descent, hold on.

Keep in mind that most posts about Dawgs are about the Mag sized Dawgs. The regular sized Dawgs can do a lot of the actions that Sondag talked about and he's spot on. I throw reg Dawgs a lot, likely more than most. They still stretch out to about 10 inches long, so hardly what I'd call a small bait. They do ride up in the water column fairly easily on the right rod/reel and can be a great early season option.

Point being: A Bulldawg is an oversized rubber jig, simple as that. Don't overlook the jig presentation, especially early on. I have the first full week in June off, and plan on throwing bass and Esox Cobra jigs a lot on a heavy bass combo, or the lighter Med action muskie combos.

Sure, I'll try the blade stuff and whatnot, but my main focus will be shallow warmer with fish on the suspend and rise like Sondag mentioned. Jigs and reg Dawgs will get wet!

Great stuff!! Thanks all for you feedback, it helps a lot. I'll be experimenting with all the tips mentioned ... love to try different techniques/presentations.

Bulldawgs can be worked many ways.

I run them in 2-5 ft of water over rockpiles in the wind.

It's true that the shallow dawgs don't run the same as the reg buldawgs. At first I thought that something was wrong with the bait or my leader then I realized it doesn't matter how the bait runs. Wheather it twists, falls, hangs or comes to the surface, when I fish them, the key is boat control and putting the bait in front of the fish.

other wise you can pump them,twitch them or a slow straight retrieve. All can be good and they say that they are best on highly pressured waters, don't know if that's true or not but it's a thought.

Pretty good for big walleyes too... My biggest walleyes have all come off of bulldawgs.