• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got the pup back from summer camp!!!

gspman

Got my 14 month old pup back from summer camp on Tuesday. Talked with the trainer last night and he's very pleased with how she developed during camp. I think I'll be taking her to a game farm to kill some birds over her before the season starts so I know how to read her. Man I'm starting to get the itch. Can't wait to get the boots on and start tromping around.

gpsman

gspman, Nothing better than a well trained dog. I was a dog trainer for many years and people would ask what would be the best thing to do now that the dog has some training number one thing shoot shoot and shoot as many birds over the dog as you can. I used alot of pigeons because they were cheap, planted them in the field and let the dog point then hold shoot and retreive. Good luck at the game farm good way to get that GSP experience.

Mudman, I see you live in Eagan. I do too. If you want to compare notes some time let me know. Camp prices vary amongst trainers. My trainer, Phil Mathiowetz charges $400 per month if your dog is from his kennel and $450 if it isn't. It ain't cheap but it's worth it in my book.

Phil took his string to Kansas this year to work on wild birds. My pup Dixie got into a ton of wild quail as well as planted birds for specific training situations.

Phil gave Dixie a very glowing report card; great nose, wants to find and point birds, stands off her birds well, loves retrieving. He told me where she needs work, what to watch out for and what to do when it happens, what commands he uses while handling her, what tendencies she has, how he used the e-collar with her, etc... I'm very excited to get her on some birds, get out in front of her and kill them for her.

FishnutBob you are absolutely correct about bird exposure. When I talked with Phil last night he said the best thing to do right now is take her hunting and kill a ton of birds over her and watch her learn and grow into something special. I'm more than willing to do that 8^).

Peace out,
gspman

GPS-
That would be great. My pup is almost 7 months now and I have been training him myself. It is hard to find the time everyday with bowhunting, fall fishing, duck hunting, scouting, building another fish house oh yeah and this thing they call work take 8 hours a day.

HEY FOLKS!

Just want to thank GPSMAN for the help with some questions I had about the pup. I did however forget to ask for the number of the trainer he used. So GPSMAN fire that badboy my way when you get a chance please.
Thanks

Mudman
Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how much I helped since I'm not a retriever guy.

The trainer I use is Phil Mathiowetz (651) 923-4348. He is a pointing dog trainer. He might be willing to give your lab pup a try but I think you'd be better served by a trainer whose forte is retrievers.

There are plenty of FM'rs who have had their retriever pooches trained by a Pro that could make better recommendations than I. Anyone have a lab trainer recommendation for Mudman???

Thanks.
gspman