• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tummy saver protective vests

Dano2

any of you pheasant hunters dogs wear one of these?
I was thinking of purchasing one, not only for her tummy protection, but so she will be seen abit easier. Shes a very light colored yellow lab, and blends in quite well out in the field.
Just wondering if they are too hot for them in early season and if they seem to bother the dog when wearing it? another concern was the thing getting caught up on stuff.
thanks

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 09-06-2004).]

We use them all the time on our labs. Never seen any problems with overheating but the majority of our hunting is late season. They do occasionally get hung up on fences and what not. I'm sure they've saved a few stitches over the years.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248

I have used one called a Skid Plate, think I got it at Cabelas. It only covers the chest and has nylon straps across the back so it isn't too hot. Worked great for my lab. They even have a narrow model for dogs that don't have a real wide chest - prevents chaffing of the arm pits.

For pheasant hunting I have used the blaze orange vests before. My Choc. lab is only about 60lbs. so his vest is a little loose. It is made out of nylon and doesn't cause him to warm at all. If you get a neoprene vest, check make sure that (if you have a male) there is room for his ding ding to hang out so he can pee otherwise they can get a bad rash. I just cut a "U" shape out of it for him.

------------------
Jess T. Kline

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-10-2004).]