• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deutsch-Drahthaar Hunting Dogs

Jay R

I read an article about this breed that is very similar to the German Wirehaired Pointer but is different due to breeding standards and registration I think. Anyone have any experience with this breed? They are from my understanding very versitile, ducks, upland etc.. and have an incredible ability to blood track game and very rarely if ever loose a bird. I am not exactly looking to maybe purchase a pup from this breed but I am curious so if anyone has some experience I would appreciate your comments.

Jay R

Jay - I am by no means an expert on the subject, but am fairly educated on it and have experienced both GWPs and DDs firsthand. DDs are versatile dogs and will do most anything you ask of them, but ability does vary just like any other breed...simply said, they're not perfect as teh artcle may have made them out to be. That being said, in regards to ability, coat, and most importantly for me, temperament(I have 3 kids), my experience has been that they are the best fit out there for me. I personally prefer the breeding/judging standards of the VDD compared to AKC for GWPs, especially as it pertains to coat quality and temperament. This is a huge debate among "fuzzy dog" owners, but once again, I say it's my preference.

If you're looking for more info, check out vdd-gna dot org or drahthaar dot com. I signed up for the email list on the second site and have learned a ton. I actually went to my first spring puppy test this spring and was thoroughly impressed with the 20+ dogs I saw that day.

Good luck,
Blaze

Blaze,

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate your comments. I will be in the market for a pup next spring so I am trying to learn as much as I can about the various breeds. I mostly upland hunt Pheasants, Praire Chickens (if drawn), Ruffs, and do some Duck hunting. I am not sold on one breed yet just looking and the Drathaar just seemed so interesting. Any recommendations on a breeder? Any breeders in MN / ND as I live in NW Minn. Thank you again.

Jay R

Jay - sorry for the delay getting back to ya. Yes, I do have a few contacts relatively close to you that I could recommend. I think if you spend some time around the DD's you just might fall in love with them like I did. grin.gif

Shoot me an email: mrdba2u @ yahoo . com
(remove the spaces)

Later,
Blaze

Jay - haven't heard back from ya at all, but thought I'd let you know there's going to be a "Drahts & Brats" day on 7/24 in Watertown, SD - couple hours from you. It's a training day event for Drahtaar owners with burgers/brats afterward, and they welcome people who are interested in learning more about the breed. If you want more info, I can send it on to ya.

~Blaze