• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leather chew toys, are they ok if they come from a foreign country?

BLACKJACK

I occaisionally give my two labs a leather chewie, either the flat leather ones or one of the bones. Once upon a time I heard that the ones that were maufactured in other countries contained chemicals from the manufacturing process that could harm your dog, is that still true?

Problem is that its hard to find any chewable leathers that aren't foreign made...

Hey Blackhack... I don't (won't) give my dogs any rawhide anymore. I just won't take the time to see if it's from the U.S. or not. Some of the rawhide from foreign countries are processed with formeldihyde. It has caused some problems in the past. Is it all bad? Nope. Is it all safe? Probably not. Try cow hooves, I've used the smoked variety for years now, if you can't find the smoked ones, rub some peanut butter into the hollow area of the plain variety to get them chewing on it. Works good.

Good luck! Ken

My lab will chew on a beef marrow bone for weeks, or until he breaks it to bits by throwing it around and I toss it. I use to give rawhides but he would untie a bone shaped one in not time flat. Seemed like he always got constipated after chewing on them too. It's just bones from this point on.

Mr. B, yeah they can smell when they get real wet, don't think the smoked ones are much better, my dogs have them out in their kennels so I don't have to contend with the smell. I know one was stinking the joint up in the back of the truck and off to the ditch it went. For the most part I haven't had a problem.

Good Luck!

Ken