• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tripod Question?

Hello guys!

I would like to seek your advice on tripods. smile

My trusty old Stitz CV220 saw it last use a couple weeks back after a decade and half of faithful operation. Man, it was a good tripod grin I tried to repair it, but the only repair I could muster was to install some cumbersome pins as stops in the legs as seen below:

3366088753_2d865b4942_o.jpg

Beside my makeshift pins, you can see the failure points (cracks). Also, you can see where I tried some super glue grin I put a hole down at the bottom of the lower leg, as a place to store the pin when the leg is pushed back in. The pins are a pain to remove and install and the two lower parts of the legs glide free with no lock. That bites! It could be used as a back up tripod, but adjustment is limited now and it is time for a new one grin I hate to see this old girl go, but I think it is time frown . I could go on about the memories, but enough is enough grin If anyone thinks I can get some new locking parts for it, let me know tired.

So, on to my main question. What do you guys use for tripods? I did a history search for tripod info and only found one small thread from a couple years ago. I did not want to beet a repeat topic to death wink

I will be using this for still photos, but mainly for video. I think I want to stay with a pan head (video), but I have a small ball head I have used with good luck. My camera weight should not be an issue, because loaded down (camera, lens, extended life battery, light and boom mic) it still weighs under 5lb’s. The main thing I would like is durablity of the tripod in an outdoors environment (winter and summer). The weight or size (compacted) of the tripod is not a huge deal to me. I would like to get a case that the tripod would fit into anyways, with a shoulder or backpack style straps. Price range would be the $100 mark. A little more if needed and a little less if possible grin.

I have been looking and kind of like some of the Sunpack brand tripods. The one inperticular that caught my eye was the Platinum Plus 7500TM. It is in my price range and has some good features. It is a pan head style, goes higher than I would ever need and is a 2 in 1 tripod and monopod. Does anyone have an opinion on Sunpack tripods? Do you think they are built to last?

I know my main use is for video and this is the Photo forum, but with all of the great experts in this forum, I felt I should ask before I pull the trigger on anything. I know this post went way longer than I would have liked grin, but I want to lay it all out and make a wise decision based on what the pros use (in my price range of course grin).

Thanks in advance! smile

Shack, that looks like a pretty good deal. You get a case, holds 11 lbs, quick release, supported legs. Looks like it would work well for your intended use at around $70. I have a couple of tripods but my main one is the Manfrotto 3021 Pro.

Shack, I as well as many of us here, use Bogen mafrotto Tripods.

I use a lower end bogen called a 725b. I am mostly happy with it, but is not extremly sturdy in a moderate wind, and does a have a small problem with slippage when I mount my 100-400L on it with my canon xti. I am not sure of the exact weight of that combo but I will guess about 8-12 pounds total. I at times wish I had bought a larger tripod with more support. Current tripod has a ball head which I am mostly happy with 90% of the time, but have times I wish I had a pan head at times for BIF shots. I beleive I paid about $130.00 for my tripod. I also have matching mono pod that I got for about $40 and that is perfect size for my combo, though about 5 inches short sometimes for my 6'1" body.

I would definatly if you can, bring your rig into the store and set it on tripod and see how it works for you. I bought mine online from Canoga so I could not do that but had plenty of feed back from others who use the exact same sticks with similar glass on top.

Good luck hopefully my short discertation helped. :))

Thanks guys for the feed back smile

I took your guy's advice and decided on the Platinum Plus 7500TM from Sunpak. My camera fit very nice on it, so I brought it.

For the price and what you get, it is a very nice and sturdy tripod. Even brought up all the way 73" shocked , it would take a massive wind or a major jolt to knock it over. The feet stand 4' away from each other when the legs are all the way extended out.

This thing should handle any situation I throw at it.

Thanks guys for the feed back smile