• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

medical question

my lab seems to have some sort of problem with his back end....he is fine untill he gets a workout of over half an hour and then his back legs just don't seem to work.... my question is has anyone heard of this before and what can be done to prevent this?

It's hard to take a guess without seeing your dog. My first reaction was hip dysplasia, but it'd have to be awfully severe to show after a half an hour of work. Then there's hypo-glycemia, only seen this once and the lab lost control of his legs, and the newest and latest (which I haven't had the un-pleasure frown.gif to see). Exercise Induced Collapse. It is a new metabolic disorder that is showing up with some frequency. They have not been able to isolate what is causing this and if it is an isolated gene that can be screened. They feel it is being passed from a very popular stud dog. I'd make an appointment with Dr. Fran Smith of Smith Veterinary clinic in Burnsville. She is very knowledgable with Labs and their disorders.

Good Luck! Labs

This is what happened to my dog. I'd run him and work him out for 45-60 minutes not paying attention to his leg muscles (my first hunting dog). Every now and again after a long work out there would be times where on the walk home his back legs would barely work. The first time it happened it scared the L out of me and I paniced and carried him home. After the third time it happened I got to know him a lot better and would see in his back legs that he'd start to tremble. Just like you and me back in football days getting "rubber" legs I'm guessing. Nowadays on any warmer day we just do water work and save the harder work outs for cooler temps like nights/mornings. I truely believe I was just over working him. Hopefully this is all your dog is going through.

------------------
So many scientists, so few rockets.

thank you both very much!......i would really like to try to prevent this from becomming a regularity...but it seems like he's had this from the start..i'll have to check out the doc's suggestions,becuase he's one hell of a dog otherwise...has a will and nose second to none!i'd really hate to lose him to this...thanks again ........mallard