• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On his last legs

Steve Foss

I was out in the yard for a bit sitting in the sun and waiting to see just how close redpolls would come to me if I stood still.

Several came to within the minimum focus distance of the lens so I couldn't shoot them. This fella hopped back a couple steps so I could lock focus. It's not sharpened at all. He just looks that rough. Fluffed feathers on a warm sunny day and looking like that, well, I reckon he's not long for this world.

Won't be long now before the redpolls head back north and we don't get them until next November or December. As much fun as I have with them (they are a bird photographer's dream), it's nice to realize that spring is just about here. gringrin

Canon 30D, Canon 200 f2.8L, iso200, 1/1000 at f5.6, +1 exposure compensation, handheld, full frame.

3361131226_1b9ddb0b01_o.jpg

I wish I could head north with them. I'm not much a summer guy. It shouldn't be too much longer when the migrants make their way back up this way, right?? I can't wait. Our feeder was always buzzing last spring, the kids love it.

Pretty soon we'll be seeing some waterfowl in northern Minnesota, then juncos and sparrows, and then the explosion of birds a bit later. I'm kinda mourning the warm weather killing the ice for the last part of lake trout season, but it's a sacrifice I can live with. smile

Beautiful as always Steve. Might've been the last day on the redpolls here today with a high temp of 63. They pulled pretty hard on the feeders over the weekend. Filled the thistle feeders last night and there was one lone customer at noon when doing lamb check. It's been fun if they're gone. grin

Lovely portrait, nice exposure on the snow as well. Perhaps the subject is a bit centered? I think I agree with your assessment of this bird's presentation. I've seen them look rough like this before in my backyard and have found a dead bird or two shortly thereafter.