• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repair or Replace

redogman67

Last summer I bought a 1973 14' forester tri-hull fiberglass boat with the trailer and a 1974 Evinrude 25hp sportster outboard. The motor would occasionally slip during use last summer but was never much of a problem..........it got worse, the last time I took it out last summer it felt like I hit a rock when I was at full throttle, it was a hard enough shock to knock the motor cover out of place and almost fell into the lake. I dont think I actually hit a rock or anything tho. I think it just slipped out of gear at full throttle and then locked back into gear and that is what caused the impact feeling.

It was in a channel between shore and an island that is used as a main channel and I have frequently gone through it without problems so thats why I feel I didn't hit anything. But after that incident the motor would slip even at like 1/4 throttle and do it like every 3-4 seconds of use......pretty bad.

So finally on to my question. I don't know what to do with it. I am thinking I will need all new lower unit gears or a whole new lower unit. It seems to run pretty good though so I kinda feel like it might be worth repairing. I just got about $1000 to fix this problem. So would you repair it or should I look to get a different motor and just maybe sell this one for parts? Or should I try to sell the boat motor and trailer and just try to get a whole new setup? I dont know what to do. So just looking for some advice from some one wiser than myself. It is worth noting the motor is hooked up to a console with steering wheel and throttle and shift controls at the console.

I am kinda leaning towards just trying to get a different motor with some controls because I feel like repairs might be too costly and I figure I should just keep the boat even though it sucks in rough water, at least its comfortable and stable.

Thanks for reading the long post grin

The clutch dog lugs are wore out. Common on those given the age. There is a possibility that you could get away with replacing just the dog, if you could find a good used one some where.... (You can no longer purchase just the dog anymore and there is a possibility you cant even purchase the gear set for that engine given the fact that BRP is no longer making some parts for older engines anymore).... The dog is made of a softer steel than the gear lugs are. BUT, since its now happening at 1/4 throttle, I suspect the fwd gear lugs are pretty much shot too. You could possibly find a good used set from Twin City Outboards in Shakopee or Tims Outboards in Hackensack, or any of the other used parts stores.

Tough call.

On the cheap. I know of a few people that have flipped the Clutch Dog over and had success. But if the Gear is Warn like Boat-fixer suggest that may not work for you.

Fixing it correctly could get SPENDY you're in for at least a clutch dog and forward gear, and as long as it's apart probably new seals (prop shaft and drive shaft). While you're at it might as well change the water pump impeller too.

Parts and labor add up quick....I'm no Marine Mechanic but I'd guess $300 to $500 for the work to be done professionally.

It may be time to look for something else.

Good Luck!

I checked the prop and the shear pin is still there and the hub is on nice and tight. I kinda wanna try to just turn the clutch dog around and see if that will work, even if its just for 1 season. Anyone know how hard that is to do?