• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mistermom

Mayfly

It seems that our puppies are about the same age and they both need to be introduced to gunfire before the 19th......Just wondering how you were planning on going about that. Maybe we could give eachother a hand? Let me Know, I live in Shoreview.

Tim

Mayfly,

I don't mean to be giving advice if it's not welcomed, as it looks like this came from another area on the site. Anyway, here's my .02 on introducing a dog to gunfire. If there is a local gun club that has a fair amount of shooting going on (shotgun), I'd start there but a good distance from the shooting. The shooting generally draws the dogs attention as they see others moving in the direction of the shooters and gives them the idea that it's "safe" or perhaps even normal. Slowly walk the dog toward the "action" and can become second nature w/repeated trips. Not sure if that's possible at this time of year but certainly works. Also, if the dog seems to be shy, back them off until they get used to a particular range and get closer as the dogs progress.

In my world...all advice and opinions are welcomed! Thanks. I have been shooting a starter pistol when I throw her dummy bird, trying to associate a shot with the bird. Thats as far as I have got though. We hunt and she can always find the birds and today she even flushed two roosters. She chased those birds in flight and I wished I could of shot them down.....she would of been so happy! Personally I think that if I would of had my 12 and I did shoot them down, I don't think she would of blinked. I want to be safe though.

The way I introduce my dogs to gunfire is through feeding. I start with clapping real loud then placing their dish down. I then progress to having the wife shoot blanks upstairs off the balcony and eventually move downstairs. What I am trying to do is have her associate gun fire with a pleasant thing. This has always worked for me and I will be doing it with my new puppy. I get at it relatively soon in her life too. She is only 8wks 2 days and will be starting this in a couple of days with the clapping etc and hopefully by the time she is 12 wks I will be shooting a gun very close to her. I am lucky as we live in the country and firing a gun in our yard isn't a problem.