• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training Collars

baumab

I am looking into purchasing a training collar, I have only found one or two collars that have the pointing tone and shock box together as one unit on the collar. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on anymore units that might have this option available. I like the fact that it is less for the dog to carry around his neck when hunting. My buddy has bought one that he likes, I think it was a Dogtra 2500 T and B for just under 400. Just wondering if there are any other options available that anyone knows about. It is for my GSP, hes only 11 weeks right now so I have some time which brings me to my next question was when do you start working with him having the collar on. I thought about 5-6 months. Thanks to anyone who's got some suggestions or input.

Tritronics, Dogtra, and DT Systems seem to be the most popular. Based on anectdotal evidence all seem to be of good quality so it boils down to what you are looking for and how you intend to use the collar. I personally am a Tritronics person. I like the mass they have and the round transmitter. I have a holster on my belt and the x-mitter hangs antenna down which is how I like it.

You can start collar conditioning around 6 months. Keep it simple and take it slow. Make absolutely sure the pup knows the command before using the collar.

I have the Dogtra 1902 with the vibrate feature. I love the collars and the vibrate feature, as well as the digital screen. Like GSP said before, be cautious with how you use them. The collars are for reinforcing already known commands, not for training new ones. My 2cents

I have the Dogtra 2000 T & B, and the Dogtra 2502 T&B

I love the 2500 series, I like the digital screen compared to the 2000, and it only takes 2 hrs to recharge.

Both have been bullet proof and see plentey of water as well.

The different run/point modes are great as well as the manual pager to beep them when needed.

They are great collars!

I have the DT Systems collar. Have had it for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. The tone is nice when you are in the really thick stuff and have a hard time seeing the dog. I don't use the tone to much. I use it more as a page for the dog. Works great. After your dog is trained start using the collar at that point. I had my pup wear it for quite a while before I every broke the remote out and started using it.

the beeping is priceless, I dont know how i ever hunted with out it, its just so conveniant.

as mentioned when your dog is working thicker cover just wait for the beep and walk to that spot. or if you lose track of your dog you can manual beep to locate them, or you can just turn the collar on to beep every 6 secs.

I also use the manual page every once in a while to turn the dog

for the 2 dog systems there are to different toned beeps a high and a low, so when I have two dogs on point I know where to look and what dog is doing what