• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starter bows for the boys

The boys are pushing hard for Dad to get them bows. My wife says I have brainwashed them by having them watch hunting videos instead of Disney. She is right. Better me than the cartoon channel. I just smile because our kids know Bambi doesn't really exist and they like to eat venison. Anyway, they are 7 , 4 , and 1.5 yrs old. Any suggestions for setting them up to start out with. I started with homemade ones made from the woods and cheap fiberglass recurves. Picked up a few bad habits I had to overcome. Has anyone had any experience with the Matthews Genesis bow. It seems like it would be a bit much for little kids, but would be good when they get a little older. Any input would be appreciated. And don't forget to have the hunting and fishing videos handy when the kids want to watch TV!

lakevet

lakevet

the genesis bow is a good starter. no determined draw length so they can grow with it. it's zero let off with light draw weight (10-20lbs adjustable).

the barnett lil banshee bows are similar and may be a bit less expensive.

pse has the nova jr and the new black scorpion. 22-24" draw lengths, comes with quiver, rest and pin sight, and 2 arrows.

don't count out the fiberglass or laminate recurves either. kids can learn the basics easily with basic equipment. i taught a couple of kids' classes at our range using older fiberglass recurves. (most of the kids had their own bow....genesis, nova jr, or banshee)...but the ones starting with the recurves were just as successful. the important thing is to start them early with correct form and safety.

my kids (8-10-12yrs) now shoot a browning micro midas. 20-30lb draw weight, 18-28" draw length (adjustable w/o a bow press!) it also comes in a 30-40lb weight. it's a nice starter compound bow because it'll grow and adjust as they do. we won't be buying another and another as they're arms grow.

good luck and good shooting...

if you're ever in the Alexandria area, stop and see our indoor range!

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Thanks ghotierman. We get down to alex once in awhile as my wife has a bunch of relatives in the area. Will stop by next time we are down. Thanks for the info. As far as kids classes, is there any particulars to look for regarding how and what is taught (style of shooting, certification of the instructor, etc.) ? Any good videos they could also watch to learn safety and shooting skills to reinforce what they learn in class? Again, thanks for the input.

lakevet

lakevet...

there are a couple of different programs you may run across. one is JOAD..junior olympic archer development...cerified instructors teach the basic fundamentals of olympic style...recurve / bare bow shooting...NFAA (national field archery assoc.) also certifies instruction offering more variety including bow hunter. MN Bow hunters assoc is another good source.

i'll be attending a dealer/shooter school by PSE in July. I teach very basic form, safety...and fun. Have two community ed sessions this summer.

by all means stop in when you're in the area...i've got some fiberglass recurves standing by...the boys could bust a few balloons for fun...

------------------
Alexandria Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598