• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using last years seeds

ZnakMuskieAttack

Every year I have certain tomato and green pepper plants that are much healthier and more productive than the others. I always try to take the seeds from those plants and grow them the following year with absolutely no success. Any ideas?

I also would like to try some fruit trees.

You beat me to it. I've heard that many seeds have to go through a freeze and then thaw before it will germinate. I don't know if the freezing process expands moisture inside and this cracks something or what but it's what I heard anyway.

Bob

I save tomato seed no freeze thaw I dry them in fall store and plant indoors,the Hybrid seed dont work,heritage seeds are what I save.There are some seed that do need the freeze thaw not tomatos.If I plan on planting hybrids I buy them each or every other year.

Fruit trees I've got apples & cherries now doin great had pears at another place and plan on two this year at this place.the pears are sooo much sweeter than store bought!

I agree.....can't save hybrids.I save seed every year from open pollinated tomatoes[(Saucey,Beaver Lodge,Legend,and Glacier.)Watermelons (Mickey Lee,Sugar Baby,and Crimson Sweet.)Also seed from green beans and peas,and certain non-hybrid flowers.