• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear Springs

SM1

Sled in question: 98 Indy 500, 1500mi

In general, how often does a person need to replace the rear torsion springs?

I just put in a new rear shock(seals got bad on original and got h2o in and froze up) and have the spring adjustments set at the tightest/heavy. As it sits in the garage, the thing is about bottomed out. I can lift the rear up and down about 5" with not much effort and it doesnt really spring back.

Im about 200#. It seems to me a lot of the older sleds have the original springs so not sure if I need to replace mine? Help please..

I don't have any scientific control of measurement.

At 1500 mile and an 98, I would think your springs would be OK still.

If you lift up the rear and and set it back down, how far it settles is one indicator if the springs are weak. Of coarse the shock is there to dampen up and down movement so you won't see it spring up or down.

Bottoming out. again the shock has a lot to do with dampening the bumps but if the spring is weak your going to notice more bottoming out.

Springs and shocks work together. A bad shock will wear out a spring and weak spring will wear out a shock.

Storing the sled with the track and spring load loosened up, and off the ground will prolong spring life.

Lastly its a Polaris and they're sort of a tail dragger anyway.

Is the sled sitting on flat ground? I.e. no ski dollies, nothing under the track? If it is on either ski dollies or track dolly, take it off and place on flat ground. Otherwise it is deceiving. You mention you get about 5" of travel with no resistance, at any point during this is the rear scissor arm coming in contact with the coupler blocks? On the coupled suspension like Polaris has used forever, the first 3-5" have very little, if no resistance. Once the rear scissor arm comes in contact with the coupler block, then you should notice a drastic increase in resistance. The other thing I would check is the front limiter strap, if you have that cranked down, that usually loosens up the initial travel also. In the end, it could be the torsion springs. One of the first things I do when i get a new (used) sled is to take the shocks to DeyCore, get them valved a little stiffer and order the HD spring kit that Polaris offers. Turns out I haven't missed too many meals in my life so I need all the help I can get!

showags, you were right about the dollies. I had the rear dolly towards the rear of the track. This must have caused the front of the track to sag and make it seem like the suspension was shot. took it off and it went back to normal. poor observation on my part. live and learn i guess.