• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rattle Wheels?

Laska

Ok so Ive heard alot of you guys talk about these, and up until this forum I havent even heard of one,

So,

1.what are they?

2.How do they work?

3.Whats your opinion on them?

4.Should I get one?

5.If I should get one, point me in the direction of somewhere online I could buy one...

Another topic id like to ask about is Underwater camera's.

See Id like to have one for spearing and being able to see anything coming before hand so I can quick grab my spear before they enter the hole so there is less chance to spook them, is this possible, and does anyone else have one that they use it for spearing?

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...tab#Post1676250

Do you mean rattle reels? They're just an oversized spool, that mount to the wall, with a rattle inside. People use them a lot in permenant houses. When a fish bites and takes out line, you can hear the rattle, and then grab the line and set the hook. You should be able to find them at most bait shops or places like Fleet Farm. Cost about $10 or so. Online check with any store that sells icefishing stuff.

Merk uses them for his decoy lines. See the post above.

I have an underwater camera. I use it to scout spearing spots. You can see weeds, drop offs, etc. I saw how BnS did that last year's get-togethers and then got a camera. Got a good deal on a used one at the end of the winter.

I found a camera I want, its on clearence already from cabela's, should be getting it on monday hopefully. I like the looks on the rattle reel, it seems alot easier than hangin on to a jiggin stick like im doing now.

Which camera did you get? The Cabela's 5" on clearance? That's an updated version of the camera I have. Works great.

I've only used it while scouting spots, but I remember someone, maybe Elwood, saying that they set up their camera, just under the ice, so it looks behind them as they're spearing so they can see fish sneaking in underneath them.

yes I did say that and its just one more thing in the hole so I dont do it anymore I like BNS and Huey use it for scouting an area. if I would use it again I would put a hole outside of the house to put the camera down and veiw from inside.

As for the rattel wheels I use old bait casters or fly reels that I mount on the wall and have a small eyescrew in the ceiling above the hole where I want the decoy to be. I have several screws one for live decoy, one for fake and one in the center if I want to stack the decoys. also I uas two reels and I used to just bend a couple of nails over and wrap line around them this will achive the same results but there is no drag if a fish smashes the decoy and runs.

what about with my perm shack, if Im alone, I could use the camera in my other hole and point it towards my hole, think that would work? id think id have a full view of anything coming in 3 directions that way?

The camera is the cabela's versian the 5.5" screen, I found a deal for it for $85 bucks straight from cabela's. I think this will do me just fine.

Laska, my brother does that all the time. He drills a hole towards the backside of his house and points the camera at the decoy. Works great and saves on the back/neck. I have tried it a couple of times but I don't like messing with one more thing. I am going to set it up when I head up North next week. It really helps see a lot more fish (the ones that don't come in}.

what about with my perm shack, if Im alone, I could use the camera in my other hole and point it towards my hole, think that would work?

Dat's funny!!!

I just got a visual of what laska would be doing if a big ole pig came and decoyed up to the camera in the other hole instead of the decoy in his hole. I bet it would be a holes and elbows for a little bit!!! grin

Id dive in! spear n all and have a wrasling match, if it was big enough, but I will have 2 spear holes so it it does come in for a look at the camera instead of my decoys, I might have a chance ne ways... well maybe...

Cherokee,

Yeah, I was wondering about that, like how many northerns actually come in but you dont see, I think by seeing them u may move your decoy a little to lure em in closer ya know...